Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped computer, stuck in start up repair, college student help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 beccas716

beccas716

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 and yesterday my laptop fell from my table onto carpet. When I picked it up everything seemed to be working fine so I put it away,  but today when trying to turn it on, it keeps going to start up repair and saying it cannot repair it. Sometimes a restore to earlier point dialogue appears and after hitting yes it does nothing. I ran the Farbar Recovery Scan and this is the text for it. 

Mod Edit:  Removed FRST log, it is a malware tool and such logs are not troubleshooting tools and are not to be posted in this forum - Hamluis.

If anybody could help that be great!
-Becca

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2013 - 05:37 PM.
Removed malware log - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Usually after a hard knock like that the damage will be to hardware, not software like the operating system.  The first thing to do, if you are comfortable in doing this, would be to check and see that the hdd and RAM is still properly seated.  Other than that about all you can do is to run Memtest86 to check the RAM and the manufacturer's diagnostic tool for your hdd.

Memtest86 Instructions

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:
8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. 

A side note.  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD-ROM the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the CD you created.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

main_menu.jpg

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

testarea_cu.jpg

The following image is the test results area:

(Unfortunately the image which should have been shown here apparently isn't available from what ever host site was used.)

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

As for the hdd, you can use the service tag on the bottom of the laptop to find out who the manufacturer of the hdd.  Once you know this you can go to the manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tool, you will want the DOS version which will allow you to burn this file to a CD.

Let us know if there are any other question.

Edited by dc3, 17 February 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 beccas716

beccas716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thank you for that! But I haven't been able to do it yet because I performed a chkdsk/r command and it said cannot run because this volume is in use by another process. It then asked would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? I said yes and restarted it. It is not been in the start up repair dialogue saying "repairing disk errors. Might take over an hour to complete. Its been going on for 2-3 hours, is it doing anything or just on a loop? Will canceling it hurt it?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Your post was made at 3:55 pm PST which at that time the chkdsk had been running for three hours.  I don't know if you canceled the scan, or if you did how you did it.  In my first reply I suggested that about all you can do is to check the hdd and RAM, it looks like the chkdsk may be pointing toward a problem with the hdd.

What I would like you to do is to go to the manufacturer's website for this hdd and download their diagnostic tool. in order to do this we will need to know who the manufacturer is.  You can physically look at the hdd to determine this, there is a short video which will show you how to do this, it can be viewed here.

Most diagnostic tools are available in a DOS format which can be used to a bootable CD to run the test, this is what you will want to use.  If you can provide me with the name of the manufacturer I will provide you with a link for the download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 beccas716

beccas716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I left it running all night and its still going. For some reason I couldn't access that video but in an earlier post you said I could figure it out through the service tag? My laptop is a dell inspiring 1545 model number PP14L, Service tag H37CWJ1
If that doesn't help I have watched a video on how to remove the hard drive from this specific laptop if I need too

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Press Esc to stop the chkdsk, obviously there is a problem.

I went to Dell, they list multiple hdds for this computer. 

If your computer is functioning you can download SIW to find this information.

When it opens scroll down in the left side menu to Hardware and then click on Storage devices.

In the right side pane the hdd information will be at the top of the page.

If you can't do this you will have to pull the hdd to find this information.  Before you touch the hdd touch something metallic to
discharge any static electricity which can damage circuitry in the hdd.

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#7 beccas716

beccas716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I had to restart the computer and it went to a black screen that says "internal hard drive not found. To resolve reseat the drive. No boot able devices strike f1 to retry boot (which does nothing) f2 for setup utility and f5 for run onboard diagnostics" after this I turned off everything and removed hdd to get info off of it. Not sure what to look for exactly but I'll put down some stuff it says.
H
Toshiba
Disk drive MK255GSX
HDD2H24
SATA 5400 RPM 250 GB

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

You can download the DOS version of their diagnostic test  from the following website Software Utilities.   Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0.

It is a zip file which you will have to extract the files with a suitable program like 7-ZIP.  Download

Once you have extracted the files you will need to burn this to a CD, for this you will need a programs like ImgBurn.

There is a good tutorial for using ImgBurn, Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - Guides - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2013 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users