Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden use of resources by audio application?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I recently installed the trial version of STS Audio Essentials which enhances audio on the PC (pretty good for 2.1 stereo).  It operates in tandem with whatever player application is being used.  Using Process Explorer I found that when STS was running, there was 40% CPU usage under the System item.  However, scrolling down the system items, I could find nothing that accounted for this, including the app's service.  The actual application under the Explorer.exe item was a few %.  I don't care what STS is using, I'm concerned it's not shown in the process breakdown.  Any ideas why this is so?

I realize that the System item is not the sum of all those items below, but normally one sees the legwork being done by services or applications.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2013 - 05:21 PM.
Moved from XP to Audio & Video - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Just attempting to clarify...this app, http://www.dts.com/audioessentials/ ?

Did you download it from this website because I see various pirate versions available (which may reflect malware)?

In any case, I will install the one I linked to smile.png.

Louis

FWIW:  I find that there is an approximate 8-9% decrease in System Idle with the trial installed (automatically configured) and i really don't detect any appreciable sound quality gain/enhancement.  I uninstalled the app.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Yes, it was an official download from the DTS site.  I originally downloaded the old HD Audio Lab trial which seemed fine regarding CPU.  I uninstalled that because I got a clunk when a file ran.

I tried a repair install and that seemed to cure the CPU issue.  The app must have been conflicting.  The trouble now is that the app doesn't seem to work, even though the exe is now using 25% CPU.  I'll work on it further.  Although stylized filters can get annoying over time, I've certainly heard things on tracks I have not heard before.  I don't know if it's worth the $30.  The freebie SRS WOW in Windows Media Player works fine (pity about the WMP though!).  The only problem I've had with that is that centre vocals can get a bit overwhelmed - presumably can be adjusted in the paid-up version.

Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thanks.

My experience trying various audio enhancement programs...is limited.  But I've always come around to the conclusion that by adjusting the tools inherent in the players...I can arrive at audio that is close to or equates any additional enhancement that might be provided to my simple 2.1 speakers...without employing any more drag on the system which another app might produce.

Even though I seemingly have plenty of system resources to extend to such enhancement programs...I just don't think that the gain/improvement is significant enough to warrant another tool for such a simple setup as I employ.

I noted that the DTS app implied that it was made for more sophisticated systems employing multiple outputs...rather than a simple one with a single set of speaker/audio cards.

Anyway...the simple rule for employing programs that I use is...if you like it, then keep it installed :).

Louis

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

I uninstalled it for now.  When I did the repair install it required a reboot but the uninstall did not, go figure.  Perhaps at the next reboot.  I did not use Revouninstaller because I was expecting the reboot and now I have no simple way to check for remnants.  Forgot to use ZSoft.  Better things to do right now.

When I installed HD Audio Lab it requested I shut down a couple of apps, one of them was Firefox! Hmmm.

I'm not really for enhancements, some poor sound engineer spent ages getting it right.  However, the limited capability of small PC audio systems was not the intended target.  The STS products raises the volume at extreme left and right, and ups the bass of course.  It seems to take the stereo about 25% outside the speaker width (he said staggering home from the pub).  Not so effective where the stereo image is uniformly filled.  It gives a lot more ambience without loss of clarity so I'm reasonably impressed.

When it comes to audio, it's as you said, whatever suits you (and your hearing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users