Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer D260 Netbook - Wifi fails to see my own network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kremlingazette

kremlingazette

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi

Acer One D260 netbook

Intel Atom N450 processor, 1.66ghz / 512k cache

32 bit

windows 7 os

Broadcom network adaptor

This PC is about 3 years old, and has worked happily on various routers we have had at home, we are currently SKy customers, and up until a month ago it started having wifi connection issues, the wife never mentioned this until recently. I ran a full virus check, and also superantispyware. Nothing of any note after their operation, and still no connection.

About a month ago I updated the software in the router, and amended auto channel select, and fixed it at channel 11. Im not sure whether this could effect the Acer as the other PCs /  Apple products in the house have had no issues, and work fine on the router. The router did accept a software update.

The Acer does not even see my Sky router, it sees others in the street. It connects on the LAN plugged into the router, and connects to the net with no issues.

Yesterday I decided to do a full system restore on the Acer, it had slowed down a little bit, and plus I was hoping the reset would fix the sky wifi issue. Everything was deleted and a full system restore was run,and it still it doesnt see my router. 

I have downloaded all current drivers from the acer website, and installed them, without any success. The router has been reset, again with no luck. 

It is sitting next to me with the battery off for 30 minutes, not sure if this acheives anything, but hey ho.

I have run out of ideas, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Can you still see other available wifi networks from nearby locations? Is it only the home router that is not being listed from the available networks even after reinstalling Windows?

Tekken

#3 kremlingazette

kremlingazette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Can you still see other available wifi networks from nearby locations? Is it only the home router that is not being listed from the available networks even after reinstalling Windows?

Yes that is correct - A friend has sent me a tutorial on connecting to hidden networks, which I havent read yet, will be having a read later.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Normally on some routers, they have featured settings on enabling/disabling the home network SSID. The Acer laptop's wifi adaptor might also have an installed wifi connection manager which you could check on certain configurations. On network and sharing center - under view your active networks, try changing to home network location instead of public.

Tekken

#5 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Is your router broadcasting on 2.4 ghz only or do you have dual broadband router that also broadcasts at another frequency? 

Is your router set to be hidden or is it viewable when you bring up a list of available wi-fi on another PC?

I'd also try changing the security validation and trying the router open to see if the adapter will recognize it? 

I've had some older Broadcom adapters that act up especially on older drivers that can't connect to WPA-PSK and would only do WEP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users