Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 over Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

My friend has a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 8

It's a Toshiba Satellite C850-19Z.

I tried to install Windows 7 (32bit), but got an error: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

I deleted the partition and re-created it, and formatted it to NTFS, but get the same error.

I did some reading on GPT and found links to UEFI - which i didn't know anything about, but know aware of this, and recognise 32bit Win7 won't work with UEFI and GPT partitions.

That's fine, I could install 64 bit, but I'd prefer to install 32bit for compatibilty.

UEFI and GPT is new to me - I'm very knoweldgable about things before this became more commonplace in the consumer world (e.g BIOS and MBR partitions). I've read UEFI is Intels baby to replace the BIOS, and GPT is a partition style relevant to UEFI...

So back to the point...

...The hard disk has lots of partitions, some look like recovery / Toshiba maintence ones, and I guess others form part of the GPT.

Can I safely delete all the partitions, create one 'normal' MBR style one and install Win7 32bit on this?

I'd prefer to back up the recovery partitions incase my friend ever wants to go back to Win8, but it's not essential, so I'm not too sure which ones to clone for this to work. Can you help me identify which partitions are for what?

This is how Windows 7 setup lists the partitions:

Disk 0 Partition 1: System, 450MB, OEM (Reserved)

Disk 0 Partition 2, 260MB, System

Disk 0 Partition 3, 128MB, MSR (Reserved)

Disk 0 Partition 4, 287GB, Primary

Disk 0 Partition 5: Recovery, 9.4GB, OEM (Reserved)

I tried to install to partition 4, but got the error as mentioned above.

I'm making the assumption that Partition 1 is the boot partition (for GPT), Partition 2 is the Windows 8 System partition, Partition 3 - no idea, Partition 4 primary for OS and data, Partition 5 Win8 recovery.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by aod_, 17 February 2013 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I have to ask, Why not either leave Windows 8 installed and add a small program that will give back the start button and desktop and have a newer version of what will be in effect a improved more secure Windows 7?

Tutorials Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

Or take it back and find someone selling a laptop with Windows 7.

Toshibas have many utilities and software installed to make the Laptop run better.

Check with Toshiba or make sure they have all the drivers, and system software and utilities available.

I suspect that what you want to do may not be as easy to do as you think. Do not expect Windows 7 to have drivers for all the hardware. And the ones it does have will not be optimized for best performance.

And putting Windows 7 on it may also cause warranty issues.

I'll put it this way, I worked for a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider (ASP) Until last Year and I wouldn't think of trying to put windows 7 on unless I could get the full set of Toshiba drivers and utilities first.

I have run Windows 7 64Bit for quite a while now and I've never hit a compatibility Problem even with Software from 2003.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 17 February 2013 - 01:53 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I have to ask, Why not either leave Windows 8 installed and add a small program that will give back the start button and desktop and have a newer version of what will be in effect a improved more secure Windows 7?

Tutorials Here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8/

How to add a Start Menu to Windows 8 using Classic Shell

Or take it back and find someone selling a laptop with Windows 7.

Toshibas have many utilities and software installed to make the Laptop run better.

Check with Toshiba or make sure they have all the drivers, and system software and utilities available.

I suspect that what you want to do may not be as easy to do as you think. Do not expect Windows 7 to have drivers for all the hardware. And the ones it does have will not be optimized for best performance.

And putting Windows 7 on it may also cause warranty issues.

I'll put it this way, I worked for a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider (ASP) Until last Year and I wouldn't think of trying to put windows 7 on unless I could get the full set of Toshiba drivers and utilities first.

I have run Windows 7 64Bit for quite a while now and I've never hit a compatibility Problem even with Software from 2003.

Good Luck

Roger

Main reason it's not being left on Win8 is because that's what my friend wants, and I said I'd do it!

He absolutely doesn't want Windows 8 - the laptop was a gift so 'taking it back' isn't really an option, and as I've already deleted the main partition, the system restore doesn't work, so doubt it can go back now.

I find it very hard to believe that there won't be many Win7 drivers available, given that Win8 is still pretty new on the scene, and the impression I get from a lot of people I've spoken to, they're actively declining on upgrading to Win8, so there must still be a majority of Win7 users out there?

Thank you for the advice though, wish i'd known this before I went ahead and deleted the partition! In all my years of consumer IT experience, I've never come across GPT / UEFI, or a PC that doesn't let you install another OS on it, so this was a stumbling block for me.

If anyone can advise on my original questions I'd be grateful.

Edited by aod_, 17 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I find it very hard to believe that there won't be many Win7 drivers
available, given that Win8 is still pretty new on the scene, and the
impression I get from a lot of people I've spoken to, they're actively
declining on upgrading to Win8, so there must still be a majority of
Win7 users out there?

It isn't a question of how many Windows 7 users are around, It is if this model was also available with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Toshiba does some funny things with hardware that require their drivers to work properly.

Is this a UK model? I did not see it on the USA Support site. You need to visit the support site and see if they have the drivers and utilities available for Windows 7 for this model.

You Will most likely need to disable Secure boot in the BIOS. Also check in the BIOS to see if the Boot is set to "Protected Mode".

I have a ASUS S200 Win8 laptop And it is a bit of a pain to boot from a DVD. I may be wrong but as I understand it their is no MBR with UEFI.

I suspect that you may have to remove all the partitions too. I haven't tried that since I Bought it to learn Windows 8 with. It was fairly inexpensive for a touchscreen laptop.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I find it very hard to believe that there won't be many Win7 drivers
available, given that Win8 is still pretty new on the scene, and the
impression I get from a lot of people I've spoken to, they're actively
declining on upgrading to Win8, so there must still be a majority of
Win7 users out there?

It isn't a question of how many Windows 7 users are around, It is if this model was also available with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Toshiba does some funny things with hardware that require their drivers to work properly.

Is this a UK model? I did not see it on the USA Support site. You need to visit the support site and see if they have the drivers and utilities available for Windows 7 for this model.

You Will most likely need to disable Secure boot in the BIOS. Also check in the BIOS to see if the Boot is set to "Protected Mode".

I have a ASUS S200 Win8 laptop And it is a bit of a pain to boot from a DVD. I may be wrong but as I understand it their is no MBR with UEFI.

I suspect that you may have to remove all the partitions too. I haven't tried that since I Bought it to learn Windows 8 with. It was fairly inexpensive for a touchscreen laptop.

Good Luck

Roger

Thanks very much. Yes it's a UK model. I did disable secure boot and changed UEFI mode to CSM. There's no problem booting from the DVD, the main problem it getting it to install to the partition - the 32 bit version won't install to GPT partitions.

I'm not sure if I should delete all the partitions -  i think i'd like to back them up first, but having difficulty finding software for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users