Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interrupt chkdsk?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike_bo

mike_bo

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I had some issues with my 2003 server lately (see the lsass thread here), and I was finally able to get the PC up and running again. Thanks to some help from here. Now I have a different issue:

The server was up and running. It has a small RAID system (160 GB installed), and everything seemed to work fine. I decided to install a bit HD (2 TB) into the PC to back up some of my other computers and laptops. So I shut down the server and installed the new HD. The other two HD were installed on the SATA 1 and 2 slots, so I hooked up the new HD in teh SATA 3 slot. When I started teh PC, The Windows logo showed up (so I suppost the PC found theold hard disk), but then went into the chkdsk routine. I could hear the old hard disks clatter for a while (and chkdisk reported that it was removing one corrupt index from one file), the system quiteted down. That was 3 days ago. Since then the system sits there very quietly (the hard disk lights do not turn on, and I don't hear any hard disk activity (although sometimes it does sound a bit like it, but very quiet. That could be the new hard disk, but since it is unformatted, would CHKDSK even attempt to read it?

So, as I said, it's been 3 days now. From what I read here one should never interrupt chkdsk, but really? 3 days? What's your suggestion?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hello -

Please list your desktop screen behaviour at the moment -

Is there anything displayed, or a partial chkdsk screen showing, or other "blank" display ??

What version of chkdsk did you set (/r , /f / , /f/r ) or other setting, or do you remember exactly how you set the scan in action ??

Thank You -

#3 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hi, I shut down the server, installed a new hard disk in addition to the ones already present, and started the computer. It automatically started teh chkdsk program, and I don't know what switches it uses. At this time (and for the last 5 days), it displays a gray screen that starts with

Checking file system on c:

The type of file system is NTFS

and the last 2 lines are

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)

Removing corrupt index $I?0 in file 5498.

(That's a dot in the last line)

That's it. And sometimes it seems as if one of the disks is doing something.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Is there any chance it actually read "Removing corrupt index $130" and not $I?0
This message usually indicates that the files system of the drive has failed or corrupted

#5 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

No, it is clearly $I?0.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

As you have now shutdown the original chkdsk, are you able to remove the original "problem" HDD ??

If so, what happens on boot ?? Did you have External backup that can be installed to another HDD ?

The old drive sounds like it is in a very bad condition, and should have run the specific HDD tests, rather than chkdsk.

Can you run any programs at all. or is the computer still not responding ?

Will it work if I ask you to run any diagnostics or other programs ?

Thank You -

#7 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I think you misunderstood. I have NOT shutdown the chkdsk process. In fact, my question is if I should do so or not.

And the disk (c:) ran through chkdsk before without errors. The system started chkdsk when I restarted it, and it has been checking now going on 5 days.Without any further error messages or anything else.

So, I don't know what expects me if at some point in the future (years?) chkdsk finally finishes...

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Sorry, I thought you pulled it -

This is from M/soft on Windows Server 2003 checks - I do not claim to understand it all, but it may help -
You must put the physical disk resource in maintenance mode before you run a "chkdsk /F" command against a volume on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer. You must do this to prevent the physical disk resource from going into a failed state. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
903650 > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903650/ )
Extended maintenance mode functionality for cluster physical disk resources in Windows Server 2003

There are quite a few examples of "5 days and still going" with Server 2003 units, and the advice is generally do not stop

The worry of Data Loss is the main problem, and it takes a Pro to reclaim it back (at a cost).

If you ever pass Stage 3 it is OK to pull the plug on it, but in 1, 2, or 3, it will cause damage / data loss -

I must leave it in case others have better ideas, since mine will kill the HDD, if it can still be saved at all -

#9 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I think my power company answered my question :-)

The power went out just long enough to drain the battery backup, and the pc shut off. I turned it back on, and it booted!

Then the power went off again just before I could log in. I am waiting now until the power is stable again, then I will try to boot it again. I'm hopeful....

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hi -

Big learning curve  notme.gif They will take no responsibility for any losses either ......

Never leave a laptop on battery while running any scan that may take more than 5 minutes (includes Full Antivirus scan) -

#11 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

That's good advice. This is a desktop machine, though, and I had it on a (admittedly old) battery backup. But truth be told, I had never planned to run a 5 day test ...

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

The problem that you may now have, is the one that you did not want at the start

chkdsk has been stopped, or interuppted during the early stages, and has already done the damage

If there was very important data on that HDD, it may be history or at best corrupted .............

#13 mike_bo

mike_bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I might. I have restarted the PC, and I am getting Blue screen crashes. Although it does find the boot partition and starts loading Windows. I get to about where it tries to set up the network connections. Interestingly, I saw in teh BIOS that the 2nd hard disk was turned off (that's the RAID mirror), and when I turned it on, the page fault BSODs went away (to be replaced with a fule system error.

I am now trying to repair the installation from the Windows CD, but there is again a step where the installation checks the hard disk, and it has been doing that now for a couple of hours. So, I might be back again at the hard disk check....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users