Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 computer, 2 hard drives, 5 operating systems, having problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alikanajan

alikanajan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Yes it sounds foolish BUT, I was able to fix an OS (operating system) on 1 disk infected by a ransom virus from an OS on the second disk. Here's my dilemma, because I almost lost some very important data, I would like to protect certain data from damage or viruses in the future so -  I want to have 2 hard drives with a total of 5 OS's on them. First disk would have XP & Win7 on it. Second disk would have XP, Win7, & Ubuntu. My reasons are I would like to use one XP OS for financial transactions & nothing else. I use 2nd XP as a backup/recovery for the 1st XP. Then I use 1st Win7 for general surfing & research. I use 2nd Win7 for backup/recovery of 1st Win7. For the 3rd system I would like to install & try Ubuntu for a few months to see if I would like it.

So far I have installed XP & Win7 on one hard disk. I have created 3 partitiones on the second hard disk, formatted 2 of those partitions & installed XP on the first partition & planned on installing WIn7 on the next partition then Ubuntu on the final partition. Now when I boot up the only OS's that appear on the list are the 2 XP systems. The Win7 system doesn't show up as an option to start. So at this point I'm not sure how I should proceed from here to have the Win7 OS to show up as an option to start & be able to continue installing the next Win7 & Ubuntu systems. Any help would be great.

Also, I wasn't quite sure which forum this entry would best be suited to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well one way to do what you want is to use a boot manager. There are a bunch listed when I Googled with "partition boot manager"

Using one XP OS for financial will not be enough protection. If you were to get a Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for example they would be able to see and access all the drive letters in the computer.There are ways around that but I went for the simple method in my case.  One method to be secure is use removable drive trays and only have one OS inserted at a time. One OS for financial on its own drive, One Tray for the other OS's. The other way would be to use security software that encrypts the OS drive to be unreadable until you boot it and enter the password, Another possibility would be Virtual Machines holding the OS's.

One nice desktop for everything except for financial use. Then a inexpensive laptop that gets used for online banking, Billpaying, Income tax, Shopping at known good sites such as Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect and clothing/shoes. No Email, No surfing the web. Nothing else. I pull it out twice a month Bank, pay bills, Make an order, if needed, Then I shut it down and put it away again.

That is about the best I can think of for my peace of mind.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 alikanajan

alikanajan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

rotor123 I didn't know about removeable disk trays. Sounds like a viable option. I'll look into that, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users