Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can hardly run games anymore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhilComo

PhilComo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm having problems with my computer performances. At first, I wasn't even able to run old 3d games like both Half Life games (that I used to run without a hitch) so I did a lot of things to try to solve the problem, I thought it was a dust problems due to high temperature of my CPU and GPU, so I cleaned out the dust, it reduced the CPU temperature (70c to 40c) but the GPU temp didn't really change (60c idle and up to 80c when playing).
But after research I've come to the conclusion that fanless card could handle high temp, and the max GPU temp is listed at 99c.

I updated all my drivers, did a virus scan, did a defrag, deleted about 40% of my HDD, set my pc to performance, used CCleaner, GameBooster and cant really remember all that I did to try help it.
My final attempt was to format my pc, but I don't have a CD drive neither a OS CD, so I did a HP PC recovery and all seemed to work like it used to be.

To make it short, I thought that all was okay until I tried to play more recent games, games that technically my PC could run easily (Doom 3, Oblivion, FEAR, Condemned (and they did run perfectly one year ago)) have a really low fps much of the time, sometimes they run smooth but when having 'too much' details or animations in screen, FPS drops drastically and makes the games unplayable.

HP Pavilion m7650n
XP Media Center 32bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz
2Gb RAM DDR2
1Gb AMD Radeon HD 6450 Silent
320Gb HHD

It's really old but I just wish to be able to play games meeting my system requirements, and I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem, but what can causes a game to run smoothly but when animations are in screen (e.g. like in Doom 3 can run on high setting but when I walk past steam or when an enemy casts a spell on me the FPS drops to approximately to 10 or even lower) is it my CPU, GPU, RAMs? I really don't know... overal my PC is pretty fast but games are a pain in the ***.

I already had a GPU problem and it was pretty obvious that the graphic card was the problem, videos and 2d games hardly worked, so I changed it one year ago for the one I have right now and I ran games like CoD4, Crysis, Fallout 3 without problems. But now the problem seems different.

Thanks for reading, all comments are much appreciated!

Edited by PhilComo, 17 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

sounds like the gpu. a quick look around the net says this card runs a little hot and it can lead to a loss of performance , such as you are experiencing.

#3 PhilComo

PhilComo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it, well I've done a lot of researches on google before posting and some say that this temperature is no need to worry and others say that this could even be dangerous for near hardwares, although the max GPU temp is listed at 99c.
This is what confusing me, I even add my desk fan to lower the temp, which drops to about 65c when running games, and that didn't help. But if it ran that hot for a while, there might be some permanent damage, even though I can't really notice it but in "high" games. (Half-Life 2 is pretty much my breaking point)
I will try to find a new graphic card, with fan this time, that fits my specs and see if that solves the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users