Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Laptop - HD Failure - Is Recovery Possible ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pauljoanss

Pauljoanss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

I have just read a very good thread where James Litten (and others) helped to recovery data from an HP Laptop after HD failure. Well my daughter is in the same position, very up set about loss of photos and videos of children and I want to try and help her with assistance from this forum, James Litten in particular if you are reading this.
The laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ 57, less than 1 year old. Could be fixed under warranty, but data recovery is the focus. Started to play up a few days ago and daughter reports a message coming up several times which she did not read but just pressed OK. On Friday would not startup, just black screen saying boot disk could not be found, press Cntr alt del to restart.
I opened bios and carried out Primary Disk Check, it came back ok after only 1 min, but the progress bar did not move during the check which makes me suspicious. Also carried out memory check and this took much longer with progress bar moving and again ok. Took to local computer shop and he had it for a few hours and said HD has failed, recovery of data would be VERY expensive and may not even be possible.
Several things I would like to try, eg win boot disk, but do not want to risk any further damage without expert advice.
My daughter is now mentally prepared for total loss but I do not want to leave any stone unturned. I have some limited experience with "messing about" with computers so happy to get involved with any technical stuff.
Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

The data may or may not be recoverable; may be expensive or free; depends on what the repair tech did to check it out.  If the HDD is not accessible at all, then it would be very expensive ($200-1000).

If the laptop is still under warranty then it can be fixed under that, with the proviso that the damaged hard drive is returned to you.  You could buy an IDE/SATA to USB adapter (around $15) and connect the drive to another PC via USB.  If the drive is not completely shot, you (or a tech) may be able to retrieve your files.  If the laptop was out of warranty then you would take out the drive and try to recover data first.  If the repair tech was conscientious(?), they would have tried something like this already.

You may also be able to recover data booting from a Linux disk.  I don't care for that method if you haven't used it before (it's another headache) but it saves messing around with hardware.

Edited by Nanobyte, 17 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Some programs that you may try, after slaving the hard drive to another computer:

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users