Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Hardware but Slow PC/CPU Heating up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thatwunkid

thatwunkid

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hello there, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd get some insight into a few issues I'm kind of annoyed/confused about.

First off, I'm a techie and well aware of most ways to increase speed and fix the problems I seem to be having. 

However, I must be missing something that one of you might know, and I'd appreciate your input.

I built my own PC with the parts that I have displayed on the pictures below. 

I'm confused about why my computer is slow even though similar laptops/PCs with equal to less powerful hardware perform

quicker and more efficient than mine. I have used CCleaner, defragmented, etc.. and performed all the required and suggested 

operations that are supposed to make a PC faster/cleaner. If you can let me know if maybe my parts don't complement each other in a way that should, or something completely out of left field that I have overlooked, I would love that.

Lastly, I'm concerned that my CPU is heating up more than usual. Once, my computer shut down because of excessive heat in my CPU.

I cleaned my PC and CPU, changed the thermal paste, etc... It has not shut down since. However, it increases in temperature rather quickly when I start even a simple program such as VLC for video viewing, or my web browser (Chrome).

I have posted a picture with my CPU Temperature running virtually on idle, with only google drive and sticky notes running on idle. 

Let me know what kind of changes you think I should make! Thank You! 

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   36.5KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   27.81KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   26.12KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   32.71KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  5.JPG   22.55KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  Capture.JPG   27.12KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  k.JPG   39.7KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  t.JPG   76.79KB   4 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

Hello thatwunkid, and Welcome -
An easier way to show all of this is in a Speccy Link as this may give us a bit more to look at -

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions
This combines most of the data that you are trying to post in screen shots -

Thank You -

#3 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Wow, all that and the only response is????  Not impressed.  He wanted to know how to speed up his pc, not how to use speccy.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

If your system is slow, you may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. If you allow all these startups, they will compete for and use system resources resulting in poor performance and a slow system. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available from the Start Menu > All Programs or an icon on the Desktop if needed. Other reasons for Slowness, freezing and performance issues include disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. For more information about trimming down the number of startup applications, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. Scroll down to the section titled " Check for any unnecessary applications loading when Windows Boots" and use a Startup Manager.

When was the last time you your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc. If you use a notebook, they get dirty too and need to be cleaned.

An overheating CPU can be an indication of a failing fan, the CPU itself going bad or dirty components.
  • Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.
  • Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of
    compressed air.
  • Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.
  • Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink as it can deteriorate over time so. You may need to remove it, scrape away the old thermal gel that makes contact with the processor, then apply a very thin coat of fresh thermal grease on the surface and fit the heat sink back in place again.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 thatwunkid

thatwunkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Thank you quietman7! I decided to open my computer again as you suggested to look for debris and dust, and found that my computer collected dust so quickly form when I last checked it just a month ago. I guess I just have to keep maintaining it. Thank you again for your comment!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

You're welcome.

Tip: When not using your PC, place a plastic bag over it to minimize the amount of debris and dust which collects on it. No matter how much we clean, some homes are just prone to higher amounts of dust than others.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Wow, all that and the only response is????  Not impressed.  He wanted to know how to speed up his pc, not how to use speccy.

FWIW:  Using Speccy is one of the ways of obtaining much useful information (including temperature data) about a system.

By all means...if you think that you have remarks that may contribute to possible solutions...feel free to post them.  I'm sure that the OP will appreciate your input when such is made.

Your comment above does not seem to fall into that class and I suggest that you review the forum rules re proper forum behavior.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2013 - 08:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users