Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending a partition.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

I shrinked my E: drive which happens to be the primary partition though Windows is not installed on it.

And now when I try to extend the D: drive using the un-allocated space the "Extend volume" option is greyed out.

The "Extend volume" option is greyed out even for C: drve. But works fine for E: drive.

I'm using "Disk Management" tool from the control panel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

You need to use a third party partition software.Inbuilt disk management feature will not work in this case.Make sure to backup your data before trying them

good luck

#3 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

You need to use a third party partition software.Inbuilt disk management feature will not work in this case.Make sure to backup your data before trying them

good luck

Thanks for the reply. I tried Minitool partition Wizard and it worked.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

welcome.gif

#5 Judith1314

Judith1314

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Here is the reason why that option grayed out. If you want to use Windows built-in disk management, the unallocated space must be rightly behind the parition you want to extend. Clear? Please be careful with this point. Only in that case can you extend the patition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users