Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Games Have Horrible Lag

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

Everytime I go to play a game on the internet (like a MMORPG like Runescape) or anything that uses Java to run, the game works fine for a little while and then I experence a period of horrible lagging that causes the whole computer (including the cursor) to lag. I updated my version of Java to see if it would fix the problem, but it did not. I also ran some scans in Safe Mode and found some stuff but it still is lagging. Can someone tell me if I am infected or if it is a computer problem?

Edited by Spirit Adept, 01 April 2006 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

I also ran some scans in Safe Mode and found some stuff

What scans, and what "stuff"?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

I used spyware doctor and spybot: search and destroy. The things that I found had to do with pop-ups.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:46 AM

Are you using dial-up? What are the specs of your video card and how much RAM does your computer have? Most MMORPGs do not rely on Java, so that is most likely not your problem.
Does your gaming experience improved if you "turn down" the graphics in the game's options? Most on-line games will have some choices for better performance; changing these may help with the lag problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

I'm using DSL but I do not know about my RAM or video card specifics. If you tell me how to check these I will do that. Changing the quality of the game doesn't help. My computer used to work fine playing Runescape even when it was on dial-up, but for some unknown reason it won't work anymore. We haven't added any new games or programs for a while either.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

This will provide the information (and it is a very useful tool to have, as well):

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

More questions:
1. What applications/processes do you have running in the background?
2. How often do you defragment your hard drive?
3. Have you run your anti-virus with updated definitions recently?

Regards,
John

#7 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

I didn't see anything about my video card or RAM in the report, would you like me to post the result?

As for the other questions I don't have any other programs running at the time and I defraged my computer recently and ran my anti virus software as part of trying to figure out what was wrong on my own (I used Microsoft antispyware and spyware doctor)

And thank you for the download. This helps me answer a few questions about my computer I had.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

RAM: look under "Memory Modules"
Video: look under "Display" for "display adaptor."

If you are interested in finding out more information about your computer hardware, a much more detailed view can be had by using Everest (it is free):
http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

Regards,
John

#9 Spirit Adept

Spirit Adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:40 AM

All it says under Memory Modules is

384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'XMM1' has 256 MB
Slot 'XMM2' has 128 MB
Slot 'XMM3' is Empty

The Display says

NVIDIA Vanta (Compaq) [Display adapter]
Sony CPD-100ES [Monitor] (13.8"vis, s/n 4154580, January 1998)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users