Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help required in detecting reason for BSOD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Potatoes

Potatoes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hello.

My system has been experiencing BSOD rather often recently. Either that or the system would freeze and require a forced shut down.

It would be helpful if I know what is causing the BSOD, and let me better evaluate whether should I change the desktop's parts or get a new system instead.

My primary suspect is either RAM, some issues with motherboard, or graphics card. But I am just a computer hardware newbie.

Sincerely hope that some of you guys would be able to help me with this issue.

I will provide my system specifications as well as the last BSOD error message from event viewer.

Do I need to export my system information? I do not know which information do I need to include.

Here are my system specifications under System Summary:

------------------------

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    WAIKHANG-PC
System Manufacturer    System manufacturer
System Model    System Product Name
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU    Q8400  @ 2.66GHz, 2670 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 0710, 11/4/2010
SMBIOS Version    2.5
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    WaiKhang-PC\WaiKhang
Time Zone    Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory    5.31 GB
Total Virtual Memory    16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    13.0 GB
Page File Space    8.00 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
----------------------------------

I have also attached two error logs that I found in Event Viewer using the tutorial put up here:

Should there be a need for me to provide more details of my system, do let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Potatoes

Potatoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hello again.

I just remembered that minidump files could be useful, and I have lots in my folder.

I attached a compressed file with all the minidump files collected over these two months.

Again, I believe it is hardware related issues just that I do not know which is the one causing the problems.

Attached Files

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Potato,

While I have a look at your minidump files, could you please post the following:

To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)

• Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot.  Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and  paste this address into your next post.

Thank you

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Potatoes

Potatoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Hello.

Thank you for your reply.

Here's the link to my snapshot using Speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gz2BOYL3L1TJZBkVWbAba8S

Also, I am not sure if this information is helpful. Anyway here it is:
Over the past few months, my PC experienced crashes followed by BEEEEP BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. It happened twice. I went online and checked and it relates to memory issues. After reinserting my RAM sticks, those go away after each time but BSOD is still somewhat common as seen from the dates of my minidump files.

Edited by Potatoes, 17 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hello,

1.)  Multiple BugChecks D1 and a few Bug Checks A with the same conclusion:

Probably caused by : L1E62x64.sys  Sun Aug 23 01:08:09 2009

L1E62x64.sys  -  Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller(NDIS6.20)

This driver seems to be the latest from your Asus motherboard's website.  You might try updating the driver from:

2.)  One Bug Check 116

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
 nvlddmkm+0x12a701

nvlddmkm.sys  Tue Oct 02 14:21:13 2012 - nVidia graphics driver

This driver also frequently appears in the raw stack of many of the other minidumps.

You look to be using the most updated nVidia driver.  There are reports that the nVidia 310.xx series drivers caused problems on some systems.  If updating the Athero drivers doesn't stop the BSODs, then you might try either this approach:

3.)  Per Speccy Snapshot:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz: 63 °C

Minimum/Maximum operating temperature  ? 5°C - 71.4°C

If this is an idle CPU temperature, it's high .  
  • Only if the computer isn't under warranty and you feel comfortable working inside the tower:
  • Make sure that the CPU fan is working and that all case fans are functional.  
  • Clean any dust off CPU heat sink, and all vents using compressed air. Adding an additional fan may help.
  • If performing a cleaning doesn't lower temperature, then you may have to clean and re-apply thermal paste to the CPU.
  • Caution: Unless you have experience removing the heat sink and CPU, it may be best to have a more knowledgeable person perform this as it is easy to bend or damage CPU or socket pins in the process.

4.)  Test Memory:
Please follow this post: Windows 7 - RAM - Test with Memtest86+ to either create a bootable CD (Method 2)  or bootable USB flash drive (Method 1) to run the test.

• Once the computer is booted from the CD or USB flash drive, MemTest86+ will start automatically and continue until you stop it by pressing the ESC key.
  • My recommendation would be to run MemTest86+ overnight; 12 hours rather than just 7 passes.
    • There should be NO errors reported.
    • The test can be stopped by pressing the ESC key as soon as an error is reported or after a suitable testing period without errors .
  • See Part 3: If you have errors.
    • Warning: If your computer is still under warranty, opening the case to remove memory for testing purposes, may VOID that warranty.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 Potatoes

Potatoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hi again,

I have updated my motherboard's software as recommended by you.

Also, I have manually uninstalled and reinstalled my nvidia drivers to the latest.

As I need to work on my system for now, I am unable to proceed with the memory test for now.

And yes 61 degree C is when I was using it for work: ie surfing net, Words. Seems like it hits 61 degree C too when I just turned it on today.
I removed the casing of my CPU, and it now runs at around 55-57 degree C. Was 46 before I used Chrome browser. Will use this as a temporary solution for now.

I shall see if my system runs into crashes/BSOD again.

Thanks again.

Will update you again on the memory test soon.

***EDIT: I just recalled my monitor flashed black (lasting 5-10 seconds) and when it turned back on, it showed the message about my nvidia driver crashed and successfully restored? kernel? thing. Didn't have enough time to save the screen shot as it crashed soon after. This happened twice/thrice so far which prompted me to update my nvidia driver but it seems to be occurring still. Anyway I shall see how things go with driver re-installed.

Edited by Potatoes, 17 February 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hold off with the RAM testing for now.

***EDIT: I just recalled my monitor flashed black (lasting 5-10 seconds) and when it turned back on, it showed the message about my nvidia driver crashed and successfully restored? kernel? thing. Didn't have enough time to save the screen shot as it crashed soon after.

STOP 0x00000116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Usual causes: Video driver, overheating, bad video card, ?BIOS, ?Power to card

Stop 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE - What are they

It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception.

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash. As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds. If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating. Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU. Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference. If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.  H2SO4

You've previously had one Stop 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and I suspect you are experiencing more.  Looking at the usual causes (at top):
  • CPU is running hot but the graphics card temperature is fine (40 C).
  • BIOS is the current version.
  • Latest nVidia drivers are installed.
  • Voltage to the card:
    • Motherboard Voltage  (per Speccy)

• +3.3V:  3.392 V
    • +5V: 5.088 V
    • +12V: 8.197 V  <==this is low

• Bad video card?

1.)  The most accurate motherboard temperature readings are seen in BIOS.

• Enter BIOS (press <del> at startup when the Asus screen displays).
  • At the Main BIOS screen, arrow over to Power and arrow down to Hardware Monitor.
  • Look for VCore Voltage (3.3V, 5V, and 12V)  and post these values.

2.)  Assuming that the 12V voltage is within range and the BSODs/Video time outs continue, I would remove the add-on graphics card and try running with onboard video as a test.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Potatoes

Potatoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hello again.

Been a short while since I last checked. Was out of country.

I will be back with the requested data for part 1 soon.

Just an update: Ever since I did those 2 out of 3 steps (excluding memory testing), my siblings said the computer has not experienced a BSOD so far.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

OK.   :thumbup2:

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users