Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS SBW-06d2x-U blu-ray writer and the BD suite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

So by now I know I have a MAC and the ASUS BD-suite software that came with it is made for WINDOWS.

AKKKKKK....

So does anyone know if ASUS has a suit for us poor MAC USERS so I can use their BLU-RAY Writer?

I am looking for an external BLU-RAY writer that will work with my MAC; the product box says MAC but there aren't any instructions I can find to use this...

ANY IDEAS; Any Ideas  what blu ray buner works well on my MACS?

MBP, i7, 16gb  and MAC mini i7, 16gb

Edited by vdotmatrix, 16 February 2013 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

Have you tried burning a blu-ray disc with it?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/blu-ray

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

So by now I know I have a MAC and the ASUS BD-suite software that came with it is made for WINDOWS.

AKKKKKK....

So does anyone know if ASUS has a suit for us poor MAC USERS so I can use their BLU-RAY Writer?

I am looking for an external BLU-RAY writer that will work with my MAC; the product box says MAC but there aren't any instructions I can find to use this...

ANY IDEAS; Any Ideas  what blu ray buner works well on my MACS?

MBP, i7, 16gb  and MAC mini i7, 16gb

What specifically do you want to do with it?

If you want to watch commercial BluRay discs, then Apple does not support this at all due to licensing issues.  I believe there is now some third-party software that might allow this.

If you want to burn data discs, then I am pretty sure that should work without any additional software...at least "read only" discs.

If you want to "author" your own BluRay movie/video discs, then you will need to buy some authoring software such as Toast: 

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Roxio/247000BHD/

#4 jimerman

jimerman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm in the same boat as vdotmatrix - but I am just climbing aboard.  I wanted to find out, what IS exactly the BD Suite?

I bought the drive as an external optical drive primarily to replace a dead Superdrive in a Macbook Pro, so the Blu Ray part was a bonus.  I am able to rip the Blu Ray movies to M4V format, but does the BD Suite allow you to watch?  Is this drive a Write drive as well, or Read Only?

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm in the same boat as vdotmatrix - but I am just climbing aboard.  I wanted to find out, what IS exactly the BD Suite?

I bought the drive as an external optical drive primarily to replace a dead Superdrive in a Macbook Pro, so the Blu Ray part was a bonus.  I am able to rip the Blu Ray movies to M4V format, but does the BD Suite allow you to watch?  Is this drive a Write drive as well, or Read Only?

I assume that the BD Suite would allow you to burn BluRay discs and potentially even watch BluRay movies. But, since it appears to be a Windows application (per the original poster), it will not do you any good with your MBP, unless you are running Windows in Bootcamp or a VM.

According to the Asus website, it will read and write most common CD, DVD and BluRay formats. This assumes you have software to support such write functions. The built-in Mac OS burning function should allow you to burn data CDs, DVDs, and even BluRays. I believe that iDVD (if you have it) will burn to an external drive now. If so, then it should definitely burn DVDs. Not sure about BluRay movie discs...for that you might need third party software.

#6 jimerman

jimerman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well, thanks for responding!  When I first got my MBP, I got VMware Fusion, but after more than a year went by without booting Windows, I realized I don't need it any more!  After more than 20 years, finally weaned off it.

So, since I primarily got the drive to read discs, I don't think there is a need any more to burn - it's more of a legacy issue since I like to keep all my digital media on flash or hard disks.  The burning thing is a bonus, and iDVD or Finder should be fine.  If I ever get blank Blu Rays I'll come back here and post a reply (unless someone else does first).

Still, it's somewhat bewildering that Asus doesn't put out Mac versions of software nowadays, when their market share has grown and others have shrunk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users