Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to set all subfolders to same view parameters as folder in Win Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

I am running Win XP Professional (SP 3).

In Windows Explorer, all my folders are set up to display files in Detail view.  For a few folders, which are full of subfolders, I want to change this to thumbnail view -- without changing each subfolder manually.

I have tried to fixes proposed online -- customizing the folder properties and checking the "apply to subfolders" box; turning off "Remember folder settings" in the Folder Options menu first, or in between.  None of this seems works for me.  If the "Remember' box is  unchecked, then, the customization of one folder (and its subfolders) actually affects the whole drive.

Is it possible to do what I want in Win XP?

Thanks for any ideas,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Hi -

I just checked mine. Open Windows Explorer, at the top Go > View > and check the tab marked "Icons"

This may be the setting that you are after -

Thank You -

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Actually I want "Details" for most folders and "Thumbnails" for folders with photos in them.  This setting works.  The problem is that it works only one folder or subfolder at a time. I'm looking for a way to set ALL the subfolders in a given folder to the Thumbnails view.

Anyone have any ideas, e.g., whether this is possible in Windows XP Pro?  It seems to be possible in Windows 7.

Thanks for any help,

Roger

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

What you need to do is open Windows Explorer and select any folder you want and change the settings to how you want those files to look. Then you click on Tools\Folder Options and on the View tab there is a button that says Apply to All Folders click it and it will say you need to restart Windows Explorer for the changes to take effect.

There is Folder Options in Control Panel but there button doesn't enable thats with you have to do it in Windows Explorer.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Keithuk,

Thanks, but this method only works if one wants to change all the folders in a drive to the same settings.  I've done that for my C: drive; all are now showing "Details".  But what I want is a subset of my folders and subfolders (all located under a few major folders) to be set to show "Images".  I'm looking for a way to set all the subfolders under a given folder to show Images without setting all the other folders on the drive to also show Images.

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users