Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 ---> Windows 7 Downgrade Major issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kimashi

Kimashi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Wasn't sure whether I should put this in WIndows 8 discussion or WIndows 7, but considering it's going from eight to seven, it would be more relevant to go into seven, especially since I think I've cleared eight almost entirely from the machine, but I'll explain that later. Also excuse my English right now, I've been awake for.... well longer than twenty four hours, so my mind is a bit scrambled and I'd just like the peace of mind of having this up here before I head off to sleep.

Well anyways, it feels a bit impolite to show up with nothing but a problem to present, so I'll make it a point to at least present myself. I've found this site many a times when dealing with viruses and other such problems through Google search results. I had noted what a great site this was, from the generally friendly people to the fact that anytime I would find a thread here pertaining to my problem, it would either be solved here or I would be pushed pretty drastically in the right direction. This was always my "go to" place if I ever really had a problem I needed worked out that I couldn't figure out myself. As you've already guessed, that's why I'm here in the first place.

In short, I messed up,

and I'm thinking it's pretty bad

So to sum it up shortly my friend had asked me to revert his new Windows 8 laptop back to the Windows 7 interface, me knowing more than him enough for him to trust me with it. However, I'm no IT, I'm just someone who happens to have picked up knowlege over the years from dealing with my own problems and such. It didn't seem to be an IT job, so I felt it was within my league. First thing I do is fish out the WIndows 7 installation disk. After fiddling with Windows 8 for a while trying to figure out how to boot from disk (is it just me or did Windows 8 overcomplicate that way too much?), I managed to get to the boot order settings. However, the CD drive was entirely gone from there. I assumed it was something involving the new laptop and not having the proper drivers installed or something, so I followed through a guide and got it all onto a flash drive so I could boot from that instead of dealing with the phantom CD drive this laptop seemed to have. One step done, I felt I was heading in the right direction. However, things began taking a turn for the worst when for whatever reason it wouldn't load from the flash drive. It was recognized at least, and there was a noticable pause at start up where the light on the flash drive began blinking frantically as if it's trying to do something, but then it just skipped over to the regular Windows 8 log on screen. I tried just about all the basic troublshooting steps under the sun here, different USB slots, formatting the drive and cleanly setting it up to be a boot disk a few more times, changing the boot order again, etc. I started poking around online for solutions, and, well my fatigued brain is having a bit of a hard time remembering if I did anything other than this, but if I did I know I wasn't just poking at random switches and such in the BIOS, even I realize the danger of that and all, and if there was something other than this I know that it was only one other thing, which I suspect is what actually made it work. Now for the big delivery, MISTAKE #1 : There was a setting somewhere in there that I changed, I'm guessing I misread what was said online, but I changed it from UEFI, to CSM. Saved changes and restarted. Booted fine from the flash drive and I was pretty happy, until the partitions read "Windows cannot be installed to this disk, The selected disk is of the GPT partition style" Now here's where I started to panic. So much so I engagued into big mistake #2. I deleted the partition containing Windows 8 and tried to make a new one for 7. That would work right? It would build the next partition to fit what Windows 7 needs to install right? Not the case, still remained with the GPT error on the newly made partition. So here I am, with a Windows 7 that refuses to install, and when I load it normally I get this wonderful screen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)

Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

(Something I assume is unimportent about patents, but I will post if it ends up being relevent)

Realtek PCIe FE Familiy Controller Series v1.27 (19/31/11)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot decive and press a key

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd type up the laptop specs themselves, but I'm a bit too lightheaded for that right now, but here they are on an external link.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/retail-product.jsp?poid=2000052762

I'm pretty desperate here honestly, usually when I've used up all of my resources like this then there's no fixing it, but hey, worth a shot, you guys will at least tell me what parts I did were stupid so I learn from it right? Ah well. Again, excuse me if I left out any details as well, still running on no sleep.

Regards,

~Kimashi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kimashi

Kimashi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Just an update here.

I managed to figure out getting into the BIOS and changingit back to UEFI from CSM. I have to say, Toshiba has to work on this, I did the exact same thing close to twenty times before it worked (that is holding F12). So problem one fixed, but the next problem is that I'm stuck now in a bootloop since it can't repair itself and I deleted the partition Windows 8 was on. The particularly odd part about this though is even through the BIOS (which still takes several tries to get into) it won't load the Windows 7 Setup from the Flash drive or the CD.

Just a progress check, in case anyone knows what to do about this, I still feel silly because it was just F12, but it did take WAY too long for it to work I must say.

#3 Kimashi

Kimashi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

WELP

I think the worst case scenerio occured.

I began the Toshiba Recovery Wizard since nothing else seemed to work. It made it about halfway through, until the laptop abruptly shuts off. I guess the power cable was just sliiiightly out of the slot enough for it to not charge, and being in the state it's in it didn't warn me the battery was low. So now whenever I load it up, it says

Reboot and select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I can boot things before the HDD, but it still won't load up the Windows 7 installation, not that that would help. Do I need to order a Toshiba recovery disk directly from Toshiba now? I thought I was getting somewhere and then this. I.... I need a break. If anyone can help I really need to be told i'm at least going in the right direction at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users