Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Newbie Question--Can I delete files/downloads from previous owner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikewells

mikewells

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I just got a used laptop from my nephew (with XP Home) and he has hella downloads on it that's taking up a lot of the hard-drive space.

Can I delete everything that he had saved if I delete his old user account?    Or is their another way to do it? 

Or is that even possible?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

As long as these aren't applications belonging to Windows XP you should be able to delete or uninstall them at your discretion.  If you have any questions regarding any programs you aren't sure of please post them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't think that system files/folders in Docs/Settings will be deleteable...but I think they might go away if the user profile is deleted from User Accounts.

The data files in Docs/Settings may require taking ownership before you can delete them.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Add “Take Ownership” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows XP, Vista, 7 and Windows 8 - Tweaking with Vishal - http://www.askvg.com/add-take-ownership-option-in-file-folder-context-menu-in-windows-vista/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users