Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Compatibility With Secure Boot....Now!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Good news for those extreme adventurous types....or those who knew nothing of
the headaches caused by Windows 8 and have purchased Windows 8 computers

Two Ubuntu Linux versions can now work with Secure Boot ( - Software )
Katherine Noyes
15.02.2013 kl 23:51 | PC World (US

..........but only last week--after considerable delay--did the Linux Foundation release its Linux Foundation Secure Boot System, a Microsoft-signed mini bootloader for making that possible across the board.

Now, the capability is quickly spreading, and Ubuntu 12.04 Long Term Support (LTS)--a popular choice among business users--is the latest distro release to gain Secure Boot support...........

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS released
To help support a broader range of hardware, the 12.04.2 release adds
an updated kernel and X stack for new installations on x86
architectures, and matches the ability of 12.10 to install on systems
using UEFI firmware with Secure Boot enabled.

As usual, this point release includes many updates, and updated
installation media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to
be downloaded after installation. These include security updates and
corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining
stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Kubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, Edubuntu 12.04.2 LTS, Xubuntu 12.04.2 LTS,
Mythbuntu 12.04.2 LTS, and Ubuntu Studio 12.04.2 LTS are also now
available. For some of these, more details can be found in their
announcements:

windows-8-cartoon.png

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

This is an ironic post. I was so frustrated with my UEFI Secure boot last week that I switched it to legacy mode and flashed the SSD and now run nothing but Linux Mint.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

AbsoZed....I did not know that it was possible to switch a Windows 8 computer to a "legacy mode".

Are you saying that there is a setting perhaps in the bios of your pre-installed Win 8 computer that

allows that? If so, what computer brand does that?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Yes, there is. It just switches off the UEFI. It's a Sony VAIO T-Series Ultrabook, and it's just an option under the... well, "BIOS" menu, I guess you'd call it. Or "UEFI" menu, if that tickles your fancy. It's a setting that has two options, called "Boot Mode". The two options are simply "UEFI" and "Legacy". Windows 8 won't boot under Legacy, though, due to the type of partition table it uses. If it's set up under legacy, it'll boot that way, and vice versa.

Edited for Accuracy

Edited by AbsoZed, 24 February 2013 - 12:57 AM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the info....so you could install Windows 7 on that computer by using the

Legacy Mode...

Or reinstall Win 8 after Mint releases an installer compatible with the Secure Boot....

If you want to stay with Mint and have it dual booted with Win 8.

#6 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Yes, and technically I could reinstall it now, considering Win8 doesn't require UEFI. It can be installed MBR/Legacy, as far as I'm aware. However, if you wanted to dual boot 7-8, you could do that via UEFI. All Microsoft OSes since Vista(SP1?) have supported GPT/UEFI, I believe.

#7 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have a Toshiba running Windows 7.  If I want to run Linux, will it install alongside the Windows 7 and thus provide an option in the BCD OS for the Linux?

#8 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Rekhillbill...There are many tutorials for dual booting Windows and a Linux distro. Here is

a link to just one: How to dual-boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 - LinuxBSDos.com

Before installing a Linux distro you have the option to run it as a Live CD. It will only use the

RAM and will not write anything to your hdd. Best to do that if you have never used a Linux OS before as it

will help to determine if you and your computer are compatible without making any changes in your computer.

It will be slower than installed as it will run either from a flash drive, CD or DVD that you choose to use.

#9 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Buddy215

I really appreciate your suggestions.

No.  I have never run a Linux system before.  In fact I did buy a complete set of a Linux operating system disk etc., but, when I could not get it to boot up (it would not recognize my CD-DVD drive), I tried to get help on a Linux forum…That was a disaster!

The folks on the Linux forum were more than very “rude” they were downright “obnoxious” in there reply to my request for help.  I decided on the spot that I did not have sufficient computer knowledge to run a Linux system on any computer and summarily deposited the entire set of Linux disk in the trash! 

I am no computer programmer by any stretch of imagination.  But, your suggestion of running it from an external drive is an excellent one because “…if you and your computer are…” (“NOT”) …”compatible”…(“it allows for”)…”making”… (“no”)…” changes in your computer…” give me hope?

This way, I won’t have a real disaster on my hands, like I had with the two rootkit infections that resulted in my having to “re-create” the Windows 7 OS and all the files on my wife’s Toshiba…10 days of work!!!

My objective is to keep Windows 7, but have either a Linux or Max OS because judging from the number of post on this website either OS (Mac or Linux) would be more robust in not being “infected” with all sorts of viruses, malware, etc.  I would appreciate your comment on that issue, too?

The other important comment I would like to make is that in my very short time on this website, Bleepingcomputer.com, I have been treated with the upmost kindness and respect even though I obviously know very little about the intricacies of computers.

So I want to express my many thanks to you & the others who have helped me!

Best,

Bill

#10 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,508 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

Rekhillbill...Thanks for the comments

Some more info to read: Post #5--Basic Security

Security Fix - Avoid Windows Malware: Bank on a Live CD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users