Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving a notification that windows is not valid

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rrahl

rrahl

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

I started getting a popup on my desktop yesterday saying my windows installation is invalid, with a link (which I have not clicked) to resolve the problem. I have not upgraded or replaced anything, the only oddity in the last few months is windows update would not install some patches, they successfully installed earlier this week.

I purchased W7 x64 ultimate from the microsoft employee store in 2011, it is the version I am running. It was installed, registered, validated. When I checked on the microsoft site last night if it was valid, it forwarded me to a purchase windows page and wanted $199.99 for me to buy a license.

Anyone able to help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Can you copy and paste the link in this topic?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rrahl

rrahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Next time it shows up I will, I'll have to click through though, it is a client window not a web browser. I think it is a valid window's popup, when I checked on microsoft.com it indicated that something in my windows install was invalid (and the advice was to buy a new copy of windows, of course).

#4 rrahl

rrahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Attached screen shot of the error, I don't want to click the link in case it is not system generated.

I suspect a file (or files) were corrupted on my computer, or perhaps a registry problem, based on some reading I did online.

Attached Files

#5 rrahl

rrahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

After further searching online, I found a writeup that described this false positive as being somewhat common, the solution was to remove a registry key that loads the a DLL on startup that displays the error. I'll post again if I continue to have problems.

Still happening.

Edited by rrahl, 17 February 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Windows Activation Technologies (WAT) is legitimate.  This is a new system meant to catch those with pirated copies of Windows, unfortunately some times it catches good guys.  In instances where a legitimate copy is being questioned it is usually related to hardware changes, but occasionally it makes an error.

Your best bet is to call Microsoft at the number provided and get it straightened out through them.  You will need your twenty five alphanumerical product code in hand at the time you call.

Making changes in the Registry can be risky if you aren't familiar with doing this.  If this is the case with you I would suggest backing up the Registry with a tool like ERUNT.  Instructions for installing it and using it are below.

Backup Your Registry with ERUNT

• Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
  • For version with the Installer:
    Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
  • For the zipped version:
    Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

you could go to start/run and put in , slui 3 ,to bring of the change key to reactivate ,and put in you windows key again.i had to do this a few timesin the past i have also seen this caused by ,malware/trojan type infections

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 rrahl

rrahl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

dc3: thank you, i will find the install disk and do as you suggest.

caperjac: I run MSE, did a full scan with no findings, do you think it is worth checking beyond this? I might just try slui 3 before calling when i get the disk.

Edited by rrahl, 17 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

dc3: thank you, i will find the install disk and do as you suggest.

caperjac: I run MSE, did a full scan with no findings, do you think it is worth checking beyond this? I might just try slui 3 before calling when i get the disk.

actually i would have tried the slui 3 first, you don't need a disk ,just the windows key  , anyway i would also check with malwarebytes free version   just to be sure

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users