Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Out Of Desktop Space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:54 PM

I was thinking I already know how to have two monitors hookup to a computer with a Graphics card with two outputs but I was wondering with those new mother boards with two pci-e ports if I hook up two Graphics cards with two outputs would that mean I could have 4 monitors? I know that when SLI is enabled that you can only have one. If this is possible how would you have to set the mobo?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

it appears that you have answered your question. once you nitialize the other card, you have both cards running tandem. one looks after the top half of your display, the other the bottom
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

What I want to know is if I can run two cards at the same time without running SLI or Crossfire

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:36 AM

I think you can yes.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:22 PM

Cause I was reading something that the PCI-E 16x well when you have two cards connected they become like two PCI-E 8x... or something like that too.

Will that affect performance?

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:22 PM

no, your pci bus runs at 16x, so if you have 2 cards running, (one running graphix on top, the other bottom) each runs at 8x.
it uses the same principal as dual cpu's. called load balancing.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

Ok thanks for the help

But if I want to run sli I have to put the little chip in and if I don't do I have to take the chip out? or can I just change it in the settings?

Edited by Klinkaroo, 02 April 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

for that answer my friend, you should consult your manual. or check on-line.
i know for my board>asus a8n-sli deluxe, if i want sli, i have to set to auto, or sli, in bios, flip my sli chip on my board, and have the latest nvidia driver build dl'ed
if you need more advise, tell me your mobo model, ill look it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users