Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will my computer automatically set voltage for processor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

If I install a new processor, will my computer automatically set the voltage?

Forgot to add, are all processors of the same speed pretty much the same?  I mean for games and stuff.

Edited by CalusBlade, 15 February 2013 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Short answer? yes. as long as you have not changed any of the settings in the bios.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

alright good.  I got a AMD and wanna switch to intel.  thanks

Edited by CalusBlade, 15 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Not with the same motherboard.

You need a Motherboard for an Intel to use a Intel CPU and even then the CPU must be on the list of supported CPUs.

A AMD CPU based Motherboard can only support AMD CPUs and they must be on the supported CPU list for that Motherboard.

The Hardware is different including the CPU socket. For example: A AMD CPU has the pins to go into the socket, Whereas the Intel CPU has no pins. The Pins are in the socket and not on the CPU with Intel.

Sorry to have to give bad news.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 15 February 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

D:

I'm really bad with the installing of the motherboard. . .last time i tired i messed up and I think i broke it.  Guess I can only hope my CPU can play blade and soul.  For some reason I can't play starwars: the one republic.  I get a 0x0000101.  base one what i looked it, it had somethign to do with the CPU.

#6 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

alright good.  I got a AMD and wanna switch to intel.  thanks

About that, I assumed you already understood that you must match the motherboard with a compatible processor ie Intel boards for intel procs/ amd boards for amd processors. There are several links here that can help you with a basic understanding of how to upgrade a computer properly, here are a few links...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133861/what-do-i-need-to-build-a-computer/

Here is another that can help us help you better when posting a problem you are having,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/115955/before-you-post-about-a-problem/

Before you begin changing your processor make sure you have a few things

Thermal paste.

You will need this to coat the top of the processor where the heatsink rests to create a thermal "link" to dissipate extreme heat produced by the processor. Never attempt to work with a hot processor!

A heatsink.

You can use the one that you have or you can choose to upgrade as a better cpu cooler can keep the processor cooler thereby improving lifespan and performance. Always clean the contact surfaces thoroughly before applying new thermal paste. Use it sparingly. It doesn't take much to work effectively and too much can actually hinder cooling and make a big mess. Thermal paste should be applied using an amount about the size of a grain of rice. Use a credit card or as I like to do, use a plastic baggie or exam glove (powderless) stretched tightly over your finger to spread it.

Use youtube to search for "how to" videos. Search for things like "how to remove an intel (or amd if thats what you have) heatsink" or "how to replace an intel (or amd) cpu" etc. Try to be specific and watch a few as some may have more info than others and thus be more helpful.

Use extreme caution when working with  cpu's (processor) with pins as the pins on them are extremely fragile. They are easily bent and broken so handle them with care. Never set them down on the pin side!

I may have told you things you already know but just in case I thought I would lay out some basics and go from there. Better safe than sorry.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users