Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Ms Works

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

Hello Everyone, This is sort of an odd ball topic, and I really don't know where to post it, but here it is:

I have been running into an awfully strange problem while using MS Works. I am running Windows XP with SP 2 and all updates installed, and am using Microsoft Works V 6.0.

I am having a problem with Works gobbling up things that I've already written. It doesn't happen every time that I use the program though.

I will be writing, and notice that I might have misspelled a word, or left something out of a sentence, and when I go back to make the necessary correction Works will start gobbling up anything to the right of the point where I started the correction, and will gobble up one letter for each letter I enter, and will continue doing this all the way through the entire document, all the way to the end.

However, If I save my work when this starts, and then reopen it the problem seems to correct it's self, for a while at least.

OK, so like that isn't bad enough by it's self; last night I experienced the exact same problem in Yahoo mail while writing a letter.

Have any of you had anything like this happen to you? Do any of you have any idea what causes it to happen, or what to do to put an end to it doing that?

Does anyone have any idea why/how that problem has started manifesting its self in Yahoo mail too?

Thanks for any advice from anyone who can help out with this.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

I will be writing, and notice that I might have misspelled a word, or left something out of a sentence, and when I go back to make the necessary correction Works will start gobbling up anything to the right of the point where I started the correction, and will gobble up one letter for each letter I enter, and will continue doing this all the way through the entire document, all the way to the end.

We have discussed this here at BC before, and as far as I know no one has come up with a solution or even a cause yet. I have searched the internet looking for a solution as I have experienced it with Word before, but it doesn't seem to do it anymore for me.

I will be watching this thread to see if any new info comes to light!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

If it occurs while using Word, sometimes hitting the "Insert" key will stop it. Maybe it will do the same for the wordprocessor in Works.

That isn't a fix, but it may be a workaround until a fix is discovered.

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 April 2006 - 09:14 PM.

#4 cubsws5

cubsws5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hi, ummmm its the insert key, if you accidentally hit it and go back to fix words it goes over the ones in front of it..... problem fixed?

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

Good call Cubsws5,

Its one of those very annoying things that you dont realise you do when typing. Press the insert key purposely and you will see the letters OVR on the status bar meaning that the word processor expects you wish to type over whatever is in front of the cursor.

Let us know
:-)

#6 mawood1231

mawood1231

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

Open up options in word and go to edit. If overtype mode is checked, uncheck it. I think that is the one that replaces the letters when you type. Hope it works for you.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

Funny, I just had this happen to me while editing a post here at Bleeping Computer, I hit my Insert key and all is well!

I really don't think I hit my Insert key to begin with, though. Hmmmmmm....
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:05 PM

Hello Everyone! Thanks for all of the replies here. I believe that you just may have helped me solve this riddle.

After having given all of your comments due consideration I now believe that the root of the whole problem just might lie in "My Clumsy Fingers" and not be some cosmic conspiracy out to get me after all.

So exercising due diligence here I will now surround that little "Insert" button with pins, and needles, all pointing up, and super glue them in place to keep me from inadvertently poking that little button in the future.

Thanks to all of you for the help here.

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:35 AM

Hello Everyone! Thanks for all of the replies here. I believe that you just may have helped me solve this riddle.

After having given all of your comments due consideration I now believe that the root of the whole problem just might lie in "My Clumsy Fingers" and not be some cosmic conspiracy out to get me after all.

So exercising due diligence here I will now surround that little "Insert" button with pins, and needles, all pointing up, and super glue them in place to keep me from inadvertently poking that little button in the future.

Thanks to all of you for the help here.

♥ Wendy

If you do that be sure you tetnus shots are up to date! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users