Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lap top shuts down on it's own ...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twentycats

twentycats

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

My laptop has started powering down when I play certain games on Facebook , and one or two of the games I have installed, and when I run Avira .  When I power it back up I do not get the systems check screen - pc acts as if I had powered it down properly.  Powers down during updating too.  What is causing this ?  Dell Inspiron 1525, about 7 years old.  Aged computer, or virus ?   Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hello twentycats,

First, to help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)

• Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot.  Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and  paste this address into your next post.

Second, please download MiniToolBox by farbar, save it to your Desktop, and run it.

Check the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
    • Only Problems
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Then click Go.

• Copy the result (Result.txt) by clicking Edit from top menu -> Select all, then Edit -> Copy.
  • Please Paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of this file into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

My laptop shuts down if the cpu gets hot  if I don't switch the cooling fan on. You could run Speccy to check on temperatures.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 rockit4ever

rockit4ever

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

try using a fan base laptop cooler which retail anywhere between 15-20 dollars, as you may have a over heating problem.

#5 Guest_G4JC_*

Guest_G4JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

Event Logs will tell more information, but as others mentioned this is likely an overheat issue. There were several Dell Inspirons notorious for just that, see wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Overheating The simple solution: Use arousal can to clean the dust. More technical solution: Install more fans and keep it cool and quiet.

#6 twentycats

twentycats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have been using a fan under my pc - still seems to overheat , but only when I'm on FB or using certain programs.  Reallly odd.   I do know my pc is old and I intend on replacing it - if I can only make it live a few more months!   Will give the Speccy a try.  Thanks to all for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users