Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mistressbluz

mistressbluz

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:32 PM

Hi all...I am having a problem with my system and thought it was spyware etc....I posted a hijack this log and OT checked everything out for me and said, that is not the problem, the problem I seem to be having is when I'm in the middle of doing something my mouse will freeze up on the screen....then when I try to go to Control,Alt, Delete because I'm completely frozen it doesn't work and I have to shut the whole system down from the CPU button. It just started doing this recently after my oldest son went to a site called steak and cheese, but there are no virus's or anything causing this apparently. Any suggestions would be most appreciated because when your in the middle of working or something and your system freezes up it's very frustrating...I dont know what else to check, as I said, I have ran Norton, Windows Onecare, Spybot and Spysweeper...and everything seems to be fine there..I just dont know what else it could be...Thanks again......

Other than that there is no malware showing. A system lag like the one described is usually caused by a running process which is using all of the cpu cycles. I would suggest posting in the XP forum so they can analyze what the running processes are doing. They can assist with non-malware related issues there.

P.S. That was my response pertaining too malware..Huggles, Tam!

Mod Edit: Post cleaned up by closing BB Code tags.

Edited by Scarlett, 02 April 2006 - 12:02 AM.

"What doesn't kill you, Makes you stronger"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Huggles to you, Tam!

This is going to be a tough one to diagnose without being in front of the computer. That is because there are dozens of things that can cause such behaviour.

It is possible that Windows is 'broken' after removal of a virus. It can be any piece of hardware on your computer that is defective, it can be caused by a corrupt driver, etc, etc.

I will direct you to some info to be found HERE. That may give you a place to start.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:01 PM

Try this too:

Open your device manager (control panel/system/hardware/device manager) and look to see if there are any yellow or red warnings displayed in any device.

If there are, delete it/them, reboot and let Windows reinstall them.

Download Everest Home Edition version 1.51 (the last freeware full version) from oldversion.com

Look through the trees populated by your system and see what it is showing the temperature of the processor to be, and that the fans are operating (they will show an rpm value)

Do you get an error message when the system freezes and if do, please try to post all of it exactly as it appears on your screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users