Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to start Windows 7 after new mobo/CPU installation ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wuzzo

wuzzo

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

OK, I've replaced much of my PC's hardware, mobo/CPU/memory and I want the existing Windows 7 HHD to boot.  What's the method ?   I can't even figure how to install the new mobo drivers without a booted OS.  

Lend me your ears

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it in another computer which you are going to boot from the drive you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

"Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

You may be able to recover your important data using Ubuntu.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Edited by dc3, 15 February 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Arachibutyrophobia.   I will return to this suggestion when I've exhausted a few ideas.

What if I install another, fresh,  HDD and install Windows on that ?    Would that enable me to recognise the original drive in order to copy files from it ?  Would that be possible from what is already a Windows boot drive ? 

Lend me your ears

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

My intention was to provide you with a means of backing up your important data by accessing it via Ubuntu and to store your data to external media, such as a flash drive, external hdd, CD, DVD, etc.  You can install this operating system on you hdd and choose to boot from it.  Once you have saved your data you can wipe the hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke which will completely overwrite the entire hdd leaving you with a clean slate.

If you are going to purchase another hdd anyway, then yes, you could install Windows 7, boot from that hdd and access your data from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thank you and  yes, I will do that if necessary.   Can I say that I already have Parted Magic burned to disc if that would be of any use.   ' Alien ' used that to steer me through another thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481477/mbr-repair-in-win2k/

I already have a blank HDD.   Would I have to install Windows 7 on it or would Windows 2000 Pro do ?   I'm thinking that I might get into difficulties with Microsoft's OS registration if I use the same Windows 7 disc again. 

Edited by wuzzo, 15 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Lend me your ears

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Then you have your answers already.  There you go.thumbup2.gif

Good luck.

#7 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I already have a blank HDD. Would I have to install Windows 7 on it or would Windows 2000 Pro do ? I'm thinking that I might get into difficulties with Microsoft's OS registration if I use the same Windows 7 disc again. 

Lend me your ears

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

When you install Windows 7 in the comoputer with the new motherboard you will have to reactivate the operating system.

There shouldn't be any problem, as long as this is a legal copy of Windows.

Edited by dc3, 15 February 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#9 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes, it's a legal retail disc but I'm wondering if I could use Windows 2000 Pro for the same purpose ?  I wouldn't have to re-register that.  Also,  once I've copied the files I want I'm going to reformat that HHD and put Windows 7 back on it.  That would be the third time I've registered the same Windows 7 disc.  So I'll use 2K Pro if I can ?

Edited by wuzzo, 15 February 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Lend me your ears

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

You can use Windows 7.  By the time it's all said and done you will only have it installed on one computer, that should satisfy the one copy - on installation.  Just be sure to wipe the other hdd once you are done.

#11 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

OK, that I'll do.   Is it just a matter of installing the original drive afterwards and letting Windows find it ?   No problem it being a boot drive in itself ?

Lend me your ears

#12 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Right, my next problem is that I cannot get the OS installation disc to run.   All I'm getting is ' Reboot and select proper boot device ' 

I've reset the BIOS boot order to CD first 

The mobo is SATA 3 and although I expected my SATA CD drive to run on it I'm not 100% sure.  The board has SATA 6Gb/s connectors.  The CD drive appears in the BIOS boot drive list

OK, I'll start a new thread for this problem,

Edited by wuzzo, 16 February 2013 - 07:20 AM.

Lend me your ears

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I would not start another topic.  All of the information leading to this point is pertinent and should continue with this new issue.

The optical drive is known as a "plug and play" device.  This means that all you have to do is physically install it, connect the SATA data and power cable and the operating sysem will assigne "native" drivers.  If it is seen in the BIOS it should be healthy.

What kind of installation disc is your, an OEM or retail copy?

Edited by dc3, 16 February 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#14 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I've sorted that problem  .  It was a faulty dvd drive and I've installed another one.

OK, I've installed Windows 7 on the new drive and I'm ready to try to install the second HHD in order to retrieve my files.  Should I simply fit it, set the BIOS boot sequence to the new HHD and fire up ?

Edited by wuzzo, 17 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

Lend me your ears

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Install the hdd which you wish to instal the operating system one, leave the boot order with the DVD/CD-ROM as the first device in the boot order and the hdd as the second.  Install the operating system, install the drivers.  If SP1 isn't part of the installation disc I would suggest downloading it first, and then what ever is listed as important updates.

Once you have a stable computer you will want to make the hdd with the fresh installation of Windows 7 the first device in the boot order in the BIOS and the DVD/CD-ROM as the second device.  You should look in Disk Management and confirm the letter of the hdd with the fresh installation so that if when you go to boot and are given a choice of drives to boot from you will know which to choose.  This shouldn't happen, but it could.

After you have retrieved you data from the old hdd I would suggest reformatting it so that there will be no operating system on it.  If you choose to wipe the hdd be aware that you will have to format it before Windows will recognize it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users