Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail issues at startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pliney

Pliney

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

When I first log on to my 3 year-old HP desktop running Win7 and attempt to access Windows Live Mail, the program freezes while trying to log in via WLCOMM.EXE.  I generally need to close that process via Task Manager, close WLM and try again.  Even then, often times WLM will load and retrieve emails, but I'll get an error message when I try to open a mail message until I I go through the whole process again. 

I have tried uninstalling/re-installing WLM several times, running repairs on it (and the entire Windows Live suite), with no improvement. 

I tried searching the forum for previous reports, but the search turns up no results for "wlcomm."  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

What's the error message? If it includes your email address xxx out the part before @whatever.com/net

#3 Pliney

Pliney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

The error message when trying to open an email after killing the WLCOMM.EXE process is:  "A problem occurred while trying to open this message."

Sometimes, if I don't kill WLCOMM.EXE I'll eventually get a message that Windows Live communications platform is not responding, or something to that effect. 

In general, all of my WLM issues occur the first time I open the email client after a reboot, and are traceable to WLCOMM.EXE....yet a re-install or repair do not clear them up.  I'm not sure if a Windows Update push re-corrupts the communications platform, or if something else is the cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users