Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System snapshot for future restoration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 antmorals

antmorals

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hello folks,

I usually restore machine to factory setting once a year, for various reasons. Although I keep system fairly clean, it still gets slow. I hate spending time to install all the programs and OS updates. Since XP days, I used to take snapshots so that instead of restoring to factory setting, I can restore to a setting where all programs are installed. So far NONE of the programs I used worked as I wished, I could ALWAYS find some leftover folders/files. I don't remember all the programs I used over the period of time.

Now I am on Windows 7 Home edition 64-bit. I have tried its in-built backup but it just did not work. It failed to recognize the back up. I tried system restore point but its rather pathetic, the system restore points just vanish. I think it keeps last 10 or some restore points. I have not tried any other programs on Windows 7 but Macrium Relfect free edition and Paragon backup and recovery 2012, free edition is under consideration to take a system snapshot.

Anybody has any didactic suggestion, how best I can achieve this. I am sorry if somebody finds it trolling but I am total zero in computer business. For troubles, I just post on such forums and do as I am told.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

CloneZilla Live. Makes a complete image of the Hard Drive for later restoration. You'll need the following: A blank CD, An external hard drive greater than the size of your computer's, and some common sense. It should do wonders for you. I use it frequently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users