Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezing like the arctic, Ubuntu 12.10 running like dream.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miyoti

Miyoti

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

Okay, so this is kinda strange to me.

Last October, our desktop PC (HP Pavilion p7-1074) had one nasty mother of a virus or something on it and nothing was fixing it.  So, for the first time in my life I performed what I think is called a "clean install" of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. (forgive me for my naivety, I've never had to do any "major" repairs to a PC before).

Alright, so, immediately after the clean installation (hadn't installed any drivers or programs yet) the computer ran perfectly.  However, after installing all of the updates and putting the necessary drivers on it, the computer would do this intermittent freezing every 5 minutes or so and the freeze would last for about 5 minutes.  After the freeze, the PC would work for about 60 seconds and do another 5-minute freeze again.  Basically, the PC was rendered useless as I couldn't even navigate the explorer or anything without it stalling. 

I just assumed it was hardware related at this point.  Something was fried, I thought. 

So, after several attempts of getting it to work, I said "Screw this, let's try this Linux Ubuntu everyone's always talking about.  Maybe it isn't hardware related."

Wiped Windows 7 off the harddrive and have never been so happy to do so.  Ubuntu 12.10 is running like Falcor on a spring day.  Which makes me think that nothing is fried hardware-wise if this is running just fine.

Why is a completely updated Linux OS working just fine, but Windows 7 is being such an excruciating fix? (for the record, I'm not running them alongside one another.  I replaced Windows 7 with Ubuntu)

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I found a damn-near hassle free installation of another operating system.

However, I would like to know what was going wrong with my Windows 7 installation just in case I ever need to switch back or something.  (only considering that option due to the fact that Steam ran much more smoothly on it).

Here are some specs to that Pavilion.  If you need more than this, lemme know!  smile.png

HP Pavilion p7-1074:

CPU:  AMD Phenom II X4 (2.9ghz)

RAM:  8gb DDR3-1333
Graphics:  Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
HDD: 1.5tb / 5400rpm (some Western Digital, I think)
Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

Thank you very much for your help, whomever decides to answer.  Haha!

Sincerely,

-Miyoti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

After that clean installation of Windows 7 did you install all the proper drivers for the laptop?

#3 Miyoti

Miyoti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

I believe so.

I installed all of the drivers that I could that I downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5099029

The only one that wouldn't install whatsoever was the motherboard BIOS update.

#4 Miyoti

Miyoti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Actually, the computer was running alright after installing the
drivers.  However, after the VERY long process of applying updates
through Windows Update and installing things like Flash Player and Java,
we started running into some trouble.