Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 taheriron

taheriron

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi,

My old hard disk was dead so bought a new hard disk drive of 500gb, when i tried to install windows xp on the new hard disk the cd didn't boot as it used to do first, it gives out an error during boot "PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received please enter bootable device and press any key". Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Any message such as this referencing 'PXE" are likely indications that you need to adjust the boot device settings in the BIOS.  The message indicates that the system is currently trying to boot via network, rather than boot to an optical drive or a hard drive.

If you want to boot from a CD to install XP, then the first boot option in the BIOS must be changed to an optical drive.

If you want to boot from the hard drive, then the first boot device should be changed to reflect the hard drive as the first option.

What makes you think that your old hard drive was dead?

These PXE errors are often the result of the fact that the CMOS battery is dying or is dead and needs to be replaced.  Since this is a vital but cheap item easily obtained, this is not a serious problem.

Louis

#3 taheriron

taheriron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply, in bios my first boot device is my optical drive and the second one is hdd then also my cd is not getting recognized, the dvd is good as i have chked in my friends computer, i have disabled the wake on lan and the network boot in the bios.Its not catching the setup i don't know whr its going wrong, the writer is also good again this i have chked in my friends pc, and the cmos battery was changed 1 month back.my old hard disk ws 5 year old and it was giving "no bootable device found" error i have discussed this error on this forum as 'AustrAlien' suggested me to change the drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Is the optical drive a CD-burner...or is it a DVD-burner?  If a CD-burner, it cannot recognize any DVD insertted.

Are the optical drive and the hard drive on the same cable?

I would temporarily disconnect the hard drive, leaving the optical attached.

I would then enter the BIOS to see if the optical drive appears on the main screen of the BIOS...set the optical drive as the first boot device and then hit F10 to save the BIOS changes.

If there is a relatively new CMOS battery installed...I really have no idea why you would receive the typical "I cannot boot to the network" message.

Louis

#5 taheriron

taheriron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi Louis,

Nice to hear from you grinner.gif . Today morning i took my dvd writer to my aunts place to check on her computer with couple of dvds, there was strange thing happening with my writer, the writer played all other rubbish brands (rubbish brands means cheap quality media) and when i inserted my original motherboard driver cd it didn't recognize the cd, same was the case with my graphic card driver cd too, the light blinks on the dvd writer for some time with no cd rotating sound and then nothing happens. Why does my writer reads cheap cds and not the original ones??  My Dvd writer is ide and the hard disk is sata. And dvd writer is getting recognised in bios and the writer is first in boot sequence followed by hdd, floppy and network. I have disconnected the floppy drive as it was of no use for me now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

<<...there was strange thing happening with my writer, the writer played all other rubbish brands (rubbish brands means cheap quality media) and when i inserted my original motherboard driver cd it didn't recognize the cd,>>

If the media not recognized by your writer...is easily recognized by other burners...then it would seemingly point to a problem with your writer.

If the media are not properly recognized by other writers, then that seems to point to the media (may need cleaning).

I have previously experienced situations where System A (I have 3 systems) would not properly read/play certain CDs) but I would then try System B and the discs were easily read/played.  I interpret such as a problem with the drive and replace it as quickly as possible (I have several spare drives lying around) or just buy a new drive.

Louis

#7 taheriron

taheriron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

Hi,

Yea ur right any ways my dvd writer is 5 years old and i wanted to use it for more coming years  hysterical.gif. It just doesn't read some disk but some does and doesn't write dvds also but it does write cd's. I wanted to ask you one more thing in windows explorer why does my dvd writer is shown as cd rom and not dvd rom in type tab.?? any idea sir.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

I would try the MS FixIt, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529  re the DVD-burner showing as a CD-burner.  I've seen that happen once or twice but really don't remember if I bothered to try to solve it, as long as the burner worked properly.

As for replacing an optical drive...the cost these days is extraordinarily low, with a typical replacement cost of $15 to $25 for me.  Example follows.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=dvd+burner&sprefix=DVD+burner%2Caps%2C272#/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A%21493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Ck%3Advd+burner%2Cn%3A193870011&page=2&bbn=541966&sort=price&keywords=dvd+burner&ie=UTF8&qid=1361101430

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users