Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching to a new firewall after Comodo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

I will probably be doing my own research on the subject, but I feel it is never bad to seek user opinions on the matter.

Comodo Firewall has apparently gone to hell, hogging resources, constantly crashing and has several of it's customizabile functions either removed or placed in odd menus, from what I've read. I've been using Comodo along with Avast as my security solution for a few years now and I am very dissapointed to hear about this. Thankfully, I haven't really updated to the latest GUI so I'm not experiencing issues for the moment.

I'm asking if anyone can recommend a firewall solution that can be said to be just as secure and customizable as comodo has been in the past. Peferably I would like something that is easy enough to switch to from comodo, seeing as I'm currently using Comodo on 6 family computers at this time.

Thanks in advance for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hello -

Please list your Operating System (XP / Vista / Win7 / Win8 / etc.)

Thank you -

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

I've been using Comodo for a few years, the whole shooting match.  At one time I was using Comodo firewall and Avast.  I've found that over time, all the AV software I've used gets more intrusive.  I wonder if it is due to a build-up in rules? Have you tried deleting all the rules from the firewall and starting from scratch?  Even using the Purge function in Network Security Policy may get rid of some dead wood.

My main issue with Comodo is that you can't temporarily suspend it with ease like you can with Avast.  Stopping the AV, Defense and Firewall takes a long time with Comodo.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

I don't have any of the problems you seem to have read about, but am using the whole of CIS6 which is now very light and also quiet as the hips is no longer enabled by default as the behaviour blocker and sandbox make it unnecessary for average users.

Why not disable 'check for updates' and keep version 5 which you are comfortable with?  

James

#5 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Eh perhaps I should not trust as much as I read, I've read a number of claims of it being unstable on 64bit Operating Systems, but it may have just been hot air. Legitimate reviews are difficult to find. Still, it's true that they removed traffic monitoring, correct? I've been using Avast and Comodo together for years and have been pleased with their performance thus far. Still, whenever a new update rolls through for some program it always serves to complicate my life. I suppose I could be jumping the gun to expect that to be the case here.

The easiest option would just be to wait a bit before updating and hope that, if there are any problems, they get ironed out before I update. Frankly I'm curious and would like to see for myself, but that would mean giving up my current version to do so.

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Trafic monitoring is now shown on Killswitch which is a part of the program and accessed via the GUI.   They are aware that most users prefer the old window and I believe this will be changed in a future update.

I have a 64bit Windows7 with no problems but I believe a few Windows8 machines have had problems.   Hopefully those were resolved with the recent program update.

James

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Please read Uninstaller Tool for Comodo Products
NOTE: as a safegard always install E.R.U.N.T. or The Emergency Recovery Utility NT, if using any registry edits
As a Reminder: This is not to replace the built-in Uninstaller (Please Run The Built-In Uninstallers First!)

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

For security reasons strictly you don't need an additional firewall in Windows 7, especially if you are also behind a router (which acts as a hardware firewall). However if you are looking for a free, customizable firewall you might want to have a look at the Online Armor free firewall.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users