Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With My Right Mouse Functions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 supervisor5

supervisor5

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

I am having problems with my right mouse functions. Right-clicking on some items causes my screen to go blank for a second or two, then the screen comes back, sometimes showing the context menu which should be there, mostly not showing it. On 1 occasion, when I right-clicked the Quick launch Toolbar icon I have for WIN2VNC, the screen went blank and, when it came back, the display has resized itself, although Display Properties still showed 1024x768, the setting I use (BTW, the 2nd computer wasn’t switched on and the network wasn’t in use). On another occasion, when I right-clicked one of the icons on my Quick Launch toolbar, the screen went completely crazy, with orange coloured interference! On yet another occasion, on right-clicking something, in the delay before the screen came back up, I noticed that very briefly, what could have been the No Signal message appeared.

Right-clicking on the desktop icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin and My Network Places all work properly, i.e. I get the expected context menu without the screen going blank, but if I right-click on any of the desktop shortcuts I have, the screen just goes blank for a second or two. Right-clicking on a blank area of the desktop works fine, though!

Right-clicking on any of the icons in the Task Bar produces the expected context menu with no screen blanking.

Right-clicking on some but not all of the icons in the Quick Launch Toolbar brings up the correct context menu with no screen blanking. Those that work properly are IE, My Computer and Windows Firewall. Those for Windows Media Player, MS Outlook and various others produce the blank screen.

In My Computer, right-clicking the icons for my DVD drives produces the expected context menu, but right-clicking the icons for the various partitions on my hard drives blanks the screen.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse drivers, no difference.

I am using XP Pro with SP2., AMD Athlon 64 3200 Processor, 1Gb of ram, I have 2 140 Gb SATA HDD’s partitioned into various partitions and the graphics card is NVIDEA GeForce MMX 440, 64Mb

Help please! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

Is this a PS2 mouse or a USB and are you using the standard Microsoft mouse driver or have you installed a proprietal driver such as a Logitech or whatever?

Is it wired or wireless?

Try one thing:
Go to the control panel and click on the mouse icon.

On the "Buttons" tab (first on left) click on "Switch Primary and Secondary Buttons"

Click "apply".

Go to the desktop and see what happens when you right click and left click anywhere that you were getting an abnormal response before.

Let us know.

#3 supervisor5

supervisor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

My mouse is a wireless optical USB mouse being used as PS2 via a USB to PS2 adapter. I have been using it for months with no problem.

The drivers in use, per Mouse Properties in Control Panel, are:
C:\\WINDOWS\system\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
And
C:\\WINDOWS\system\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys

The mouse is manufactured by Tevion and I have installed the proprietary software for it.

Batteries are fresh and I retuned it to the receiver.

I changed the mouse buttons over as you suggested. There was no discernable effect, the problem remains the same. I did at first think that there had been a marginal improvement in that whereas before, after the screen blanked it came back with no context menu, now when the screen blanks and comes back, I gained the impression that the context menu was sometimes available, but on retrying, this proved not to have been the case.

This is a weird problem!

Edited by supervisor5, 01 April 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:42 PM

I wonder if there is an issue with the adapter?

Have you looked under device manager

control panel > system>hardware>Device Manager>Mice and other pointing devices

to see if there are any red crosses or exclamation marks?

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 01 April 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#5 supervisor5

supervisor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

There have never at any time been any problems showing up in Device Manager.

Today I changed the mouse for a corded non-optical PS2 mouse - the problem persists, exactly the same happens with the right-click! :thumbsup:

I have tried System Sestore to a time before I noticed the right-click problem, but, as seems often to be the case, System Restore won't restore!

Edited by supervisor5, 02 April 2006 - 09:30 AM.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

Kinda sounds like a video card problem to me. Have you got a separate video card? AGP or something? And does it have a fan? Is it running? My experience with video cards seems to be that the ones with fans die within a year. Once the fan dies, they overheat and begin to degrade, with eventual failure.

What happens if you grab the bar on the right side of the window and move it up and down quickly? Scrolling is one of the toughest things on video.

#7 supervisor5

supervisor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

My separate video card is GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8X, 64mb. It doesn't have a separate fan.

If I grab a scroll bar and move it up and down quickly, everything is fine.

I have also tested it with the following tests, all of which it passed, thus in theory anyway verifying the graphics functions of the graphics card and drivers:

DirectSound Test: tests if your system has the DirectSound capability.

Direct3D Test: tests if your system has the Direct3D capability.

DirectDraw Test: tests if your system has the DirectDraw capability.

Bitmap Stretching Test: tests the bitmap stretching function.

Bitmap Drawings Test: tests the bitmap drawing function.

Flood-Filled Drawings Test: tests the flood-filling function.

Pixel Drawings Test: changes the colors of pixels on the screen.

Line Drawings Test: draws lines on the screen.

Filled Shapes Drawings Test: draws ellipses, rectangles and polygons.

Bitmap Scrolling Test: tests the bitmap scrolling function.

String Drawings Test: tests various font types.

I have also run complete virus and spyware checks, computer seems clean.

Edited by supervisor5, 02 April 2006 - 02:01 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:43 AM

My mouse is a wireless optical USB mouse being used as PS2 via a USB to PS2 adapter. I have been using it for months with no problem.

The drivers in use, per Mouse Properties in Control Panel, are:
And

The mouse is manufactured by Tevion and I have installed the proprietary software for it.

Batteries are fresh and I retuned it to the receiver.

I changed the mouse buttons over as you suggested. There was no discernable effect, the problem remains the same. I did at first think that there had been a marginal improvement in that whereas before, after the screen blanked it came back with no context menu, now when the screen blanks and comes back, I gained the impression that the context menu was sometimes available, but on retrying, this proved not to have been the case.

This is a weird problem!

Did it transfer the problem to the left button when the function transfered?
In other words, if it now has the same problem using the left button, the problem is not physically in the mouse hardware although it still can reside in the wireless connection of the drivers. Try a usb port instead of using the PS2 adapter. Let Windows find and install it using the CD that came with the mouse to install the driver.

If that doesn't resolve the issue:

Did you change the mouse driver back to the MS default PS2 mouse driver when you plugged in the wired mouse?

If you replaced it with the wireless mouse again are there newer/older drivers available on the mouse manufacturer's support site? You may want to try a different driver to rule out a corrupted driver.

Try deleting the mouse in the control panel after enabling "keyboard able to do mouse function" or some such in bios, shutdown the computer and let Windows find and install it using the wired PS2 mouse.

Have you installed any new hardware just before this problem began? It sort of sounds like a resources sharing conflict.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#9 noelckc

noelckc

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:57 AM

This is a very delicate problem indeed. Thank god i dont have it :thumbsup:

#10 supervisor5

supervisor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:02 AM

I have just changed the button functions over again, yes, the problem transfers to the left button. The mouse is now plugged directly into the PS2 Port, and I have to admit (with apologies) that it always was - when I was changing the mouse, I discovered that it is in fact the keyboard which is USB connected via a PS2 adapter. My onboard physical memory (i.e. my brain!) had let me down!

What file is the MS default PS2 mouse driver? The drivers in use, per Mouse Properties in Control Panel, are still:
And

One of my DVD drives had been replaced recently. Device Manager doesn't show any resource conflicts.

I am about to blow the mouse away and reinstall it. Or maybe I'll take it out and shoot it!

Edited by supervisor5, 03 April 2006 - 03:02 AM.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

I would remove the mouse and install the basic, corded mouse instead letting Windows install it on a reboot using the default MS driver.

See if that makes a difference.

If not, we need to start looking for malware.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

Just a workaround that has worked for me in the past. Try using the Logitech drivers (yes, I know it's a Microsoft product) to see if it operates correctly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

John is right, I use a Logitech download that seems to work for all mice :
'MW9791enu.exe'. See if this helps, it will certainly not do any harm.
phantazy

#14 supervisor5

supervisor5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have had to concentrate on non-computer related maters for a couple of days, well at least it proves I have another life!

But I was able to set the computer on scans- all clean with Norton AV, AdAware and SpybotS&D.

I also did a repair installation of XP Pro.

l still have the problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users