Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly can't open up FIrefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxcalvada

maxcalvada

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Everything was fine one night...the next day it wouldn't pop up and now I have to use a different browser(but prefer FIrefox, which has all our bookmarks).   I checked our downstairs computer and the same thing happened.   I've run Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials and nothing helps.  I went to FIrefox troubleshooting pages and their advice seemed to only include opening up Firefox and going to their menu...but since Firefox won't open up, I can't do that.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Create a new shortcut to use or use the profile manager command,and create a new profile.........might be a corrupt profile.

firefox.exe -profilemanager

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

It seems strange that it occurred on 2 computers simaltaneously.  Like you I would suspect malware.  Perhaps you should try an online scan?  If you have automatic updates enabled that could be an issue but I would not have thought it would prevent startup.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

The fact that an alternate browser works...would argue against malware, IMO.

Louis

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

The fact that an alternate browser works...would argue against malware, IMO.

There is plenty of application- and OS-specific malware.  As I commented, the fact that 2 computers in different locations in the house had the same issue limits possibilities hugely.

Now that Firefox has that sync capability, any config changes would affect all copies.  I don't use it so I don't know how changes are implemented.  Maxcalvada may not use it anyway.  If it's not malware then updating or some sort of sharing would be my faves.  Kids?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users