Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom Desktop Not Booting Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 katesar

katesar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

In November I ordered the following parts to build a desktop computer:

- BIOSTAR A780L3B 760G Motherboard

AMD HDX945WFGIBOX Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor

- 2x Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM

Thermaltake VM54521N2U V2 ATX Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 450W PSU

Plus a solid state drive. All pieces went together and with an install of Windows 8 we were up and running.

Now, a couple months later, the computer will not boot up. The fans will turn but it will not boot into the BIOS or windows. We've tried switching the RAM positions and taking them out completely, resetting the CMOS, and replacing the power supply with a different one but we always get the same symptoms.

ONCE between an unplug and plugging in of the power we did get it to boot, but the next time, without any changes, it would not boot.

My main question is if anyone thinks it is the motherboard or the processor? I can order the exact same motherboard again, but I don't want to do this if it's actually the processor that's shot.

Also, if it helps, this may have been caused by a power surge/cycle but it's not for certain.

Thank you

Edited by katesar, 14 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

There don't seem to be any takers on this thread. The only practical way to separate motherboard and processor faults is by substitution.  Have you tried disconnecting all hardware (all drives)?  Leave just the power supply + motherboard + RAM and boot.  You will need a graphic card or onboard graphics.  You may have to go to VGA.

#3 katesar

katesar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Okay, if it's not obvious from the symptoms whether it's the motherboard or the processor, that's okay. I was just wondering if the things it was doing was obviously a failure of one or the other.

Thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

As Nanobyte said, strip the computer down to the basics. Except I go one step further, Pull the motherboard and sit  it on a non conducting surface. Use the power supply and one memory and the Built-in graphics. Read the manual and reset the BIOS too.

I also would not buy the same Motherboard. I would first explore my Warranty options.

According to Newegg the warranty is

Manufacturer Warranty Parts 3 years limited Labor 3 years limited

Why spend money on something with a warranty.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. You said "Also, if it helps, this may have been caused by a power surge/cycle but it's not for certain."

This is why a good brand surge at a minimum is recommended. I use a Brand name UPS myself for surge protection and power/brownout protection.

A Good surge protector will have a indicator that shows proper wiring in the outlet, As well as if the surge protection has worn out. It will likely have insurance against equipment damage too.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users