Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera loses internet connection after sleep mode/hibernate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Foo_Fighter

Foo_Fighter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi!

I've got a super annoying problem. Whenever I wake up my computer from sleep mode(Hybrid Sleep, it's a desktop) Opera loses internet connection. I've checked with other browsers and they all work like usual so the problem must be with Opera. If i restart the browser it works again.

This just started to happen out of the blue a while after I updated to 12.13. I updated to 12.14 in hopes that it might solve something but it still happens.

I can't for the life of me figure this one out so any and all help would be most appreciated.

Windows 7 64-bit
Opera 12.14

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

The last few versions of Opera have been less than stable,and there are a few users with the same problem as you ............but my Q is why do you even use the sleep mode for a desktop in the 1st place?

#3 Foo_Fighter

Foo_Fighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

The last few versions of Opera have been less than stable,and there are a few users with the same problem as you ............but my Q is why do you even use the sleep mode for a desktop in the 1st place?

Would you be able to point me to any of those threads? My google-fu fails me.

If I'm away from the computer for a while it goes in to sleep mode and doesn't use any power, ergo my electric bill is lower. Is that so strange?

#4 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/tgr.dml?id=2 You can read up on their forum,and as far as saving $$ with the sleep mode...............that's a myth and a load of malarky,nowadays. Just shut your monitor off when not in use...... :)

#5 Foo_Fighter

Foo_Fighter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Thanks but that was the first place I tried to search. Started a thread and got zero response.

Hybrid Sleep effectively shuts the computer off and if it's not using any power it wont affect my electric consumption. I don't know why you think it's a myth, I suggest you read up on the subject. It's not by any means a lot of money saved but every little thing helps.

Edited by Foo_Fighter, 15 February 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

I'm not green but there are considerable power savings in low power modes.  There aren't too many wind-powered hard drives around.  I couldn't find a table I came across from way back but here is an example .  I recently wrote a script to run on exit from Hibernation (to run user's choice) but it would not help with the Opera situation.  My issue was that the waking PC would not appear in the Windows Network even though all the shared folders and file tree were visible in Explorer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users