I am having a problem with my computer running Windows XP Home, Sp3 installed, Windows Security Essentials as antivirus, automatic updates activated:
Windows firewall seems down. When I open my Security Center and click on the firewall icon I get this message:
Message Box named 'Windows-Firewall'
Original message: Aufgrund eines unbekannten Problems können die Einstellungen des Windows-Firewalls nicht angezeigt werden.
Message(as translated from German): 'Due to an unknown problem Windows-Firewall settings cannot be displayed'
Yesterday I had run a Malwarebytes quick scan which identified 5 infected files. I clicked repair which deleted three of them and put two in quarantine
later in the evening I noticed the WSE icon being red in the status bar indicating PC-status: risc, much internet traffic going on that I did not start.
- WSE-window indicated online-protection off, firewall down
- Could activate neither WSE nor firewall in WSE-Window. This window seemed somewhat dead like not accepting my mouse input.
- same in Security center
- Thought installation of WSE was broken, trying to download from MS failed, errormessage saying WSE allready installed on my system.
- Disconnected computer from the internet, uninstalled WSE by way of control panel
- hooked up to the internet again, successfully downloaded and installed WSE again, status green now.
- but still firewall cannot be activated, see above
As far as I can see as yet, there is no other malfunction on my system, just this firewall problem.