Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot activate Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NdotA

NdotA

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hello,

I am having a problem with my computer running Windows XP Home, Sp3 installed, Windows Security Essentials as antivirus, automatic updates activated:

Problem:

Windows firewall seems down. When I open my Security Center and click on the firewall icon I get this message:

Message Box named 'Windows-Firewall'

Original message: Aufgrund eines unbekannten Problems können die Einstellungen des Windows-Firewalls nicht angezeigt werden.

Message(as translated from German): 'Due to an unknown problem Windows-Firewall settings cannot be displayed'

Controls: okay-button.

History:

Yesterday I had run a Malwarebytes quick scan which identified 5 infected files. I clicked repair which deleted three of them and put two in quarantine

later in the evening I noticed the WSE icon being red in the status bar indicating PC-status: risc, much internet traffic going on that I did not start.

- WSE-window indicated online-protection off, firewall down

- Could activate neither WSE nor firewall in WSE-Window. This window seemed somewhat dead like not accepting my mouse input.

- same in Security center

- Thought installation of WSE was broken, trying to download from MS failed, errormessage saying WSE allready installed on my system. 

- Disconnected computer from the internet, uninstalled WSE by way of control panel

- hooked up to the internet again, successfully downloaded and installed WSE again, status green now.

- but still firewall cannot be activated, see above

As far as I can see as yet, there is no other malfunction on my system, just this firewall problem.

Any ideas?

Norbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

What you describe are malware caused problems.

You can try the Fix It tool in this link: You cannot turn on or turn off the Windows Firewall setting on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

I strongly suggest you post the MBAM scan log and the scan log from this online scan Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

in a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 NdotA

NdotA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Buddy,

I will do as you advised.

Norbert

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

If Buddy's suggestion doesn't do the job, then you might try MS FixIt at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/en-us?entrypoint=lightbox .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users