Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dv7-3057nr BIOS failure? Please help...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 solstice105

solstice105

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Please forgive me but I don't know a huge amount about computers.  The little bit I do know is almost completely self taught, so I am not great with a lot of the "lingo".  I have turned to this website everytime I have had a computer problem, and I have always found the answer quickly.  This is the first time I have even had to create a post.  But I have tried everything I could and I am stuck.

I have a HP dv7-3057nr.  It has been over heating a lot and I have tried to clean the fan but only by blowing canned air in through the vents.  I watched a video about how to get to the fan to clean it and wasn't comfortable taking it that far apart.  Had planned to have the fan professionally cleaned or replaced next week. 

Last night I came home to turn on my laptop and it turns on fine, fan runs, keyboard lights up, but the screen was grey with only one small white bar in the very top corner.  I thought, "hmmm...weird" and held he power button down to reboot it.  When it turned back on, again, the fan ran, keyboard lights on, but the screen was totally black, and has been everytime I've tried since.  The light by the Caps Lock button and the Number Lock button flashes twice, waits 3 or 4 seconds, flashes twice again, so on and so forth.  According to a chart I found online, this appears to be a BIOS corruption failure.  One person said 2 quick blinks means BIOS corruption failure, but that 2 long blinks could mean a bad motherboard.

I've tried taking the battery out, holding the power button down for 60 seconds, and then turning it on with the ac adapter.  This apparently worked for many people but not I.  Someone else suggested holding down the window key and the letter "B" button while powering it on.  The only thing that changed is that the computer powered itself off and then back on again.  I have left it on, hoping that it is going through a sort of BIOS reboot, but as the screen is still black, I have no idea what is going on.

If this is a lost cause, I can buy a resonably priced laptop, but it would nice not to have to.  This laptop is only 2 years old and does what I need it to, even if it isn't the fastest.  If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.  I have spent hours googling every possible combination of words to try to find a solution.  I haven't even found anyone who will just say it's a lost cause.  There just isn't a ton of info that I can find.  Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users