Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't know where to start.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MyComputersScrewed

MyComputersScrewed

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Alright well, long story short... I guess

My brothers computer (Emachine EL1200 Windows XP Home Edition) received a blue screen while booting, I don't own any discs to restore the computer with and even if I did it wouldn't help because his CD-ROM doesn't work for some reason.

After some googling I found you could apparently install windows XP onto a computer through a flash drive. After many hours of using a program called WinToFlash I got Windows XP Professional SP3 onto the flash drive and began to install it. Everything went as planned, I installed Windows... but then when it finished and rebooted the computer all that appeared was an error reading 

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I cannot get into the BIOS or Boot Menu by using F2 or F10, it ignores my keystrokes and goes directly to the error message, over and over and over. 

I took the computer apart and hooked up his CD-ROM properly since for some reason it was pushed into the tower too much which caused it to not open properly before, I found a CD and put Windows XP Home Edition SP1 on it, put it in the CD-ROM, restarted the computer... same error. 

I googled the error and found a help article for it on Microsofts website. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477 

I cannot do any of these steps, I don't know how to since all I get is an error message when the computers on... so I guess all I'm coming here for is some suggestions and advice. Is there anything I can do to fix his computer for him or is it completely done for because I'm out of ideas and quite frankly I think I did enough damage today since it went from a blue screen which could have been fixed but I went and made the computer so it doesn't even start properly...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

FWIW:

Since I recently received the second error message referenced in your MS link...I'll tell you what I think has happened.

I believe the boot files/partition is damaged to the point that it needs to be completely wiped.  In my case, I had a dual-boot and had tried to correct a problem I had with XP...by installing a backup which had stored.  Net result of all my efforts (which included attempting to fix the XP boot by using the XP Recovery Console) resulted in the message I referenced.

My "solution" was to write off the XP install...and just use the Win 7 startup repair to fix the boot files and boot into Win 7.  Once there, I tried using EasyBCD to recognize the XP install...still received the referenced message when trying to boot into XP.

I gave up, mentally wrote off that XP install and settled for being able to boot into Win 7...and deleted the existing XP partition.

But...I was always able to get into the system BIOS, so the fact that you cannot is something that concerns me.

If I were in your shoes...I'd slave the hard drive to another computer and wipe the existing XP partition...then try to reinstall Windows with an appropriate Genuine MS install CD.

The error message comes up on boot...because the system is set to boot from the hard drive.  You might try disconnecting the hard drive...booting the system...going into the BioS and changing the boot order so that the first boot device is the optical drive...and then saving the changed boot option.  Then try installing Windows anew, exercising the option to delete the found Windows install...before attempting to clean install XP, SP1.

I have some serious doubts about the source disks you used for your attempts to install XP, SP1 and XP, SP3...Your system is an eMachines and they do not normally provide install disks, preferring to use recovery CDs prepared by the new owner. 

Changing the boot options in the BIOS seems key to me.

Louis

#3 jraju

jraju

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hi, I also endorse your views fully, the change in the boot priority by entering in to bios mode is the only key. Thank you moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users