Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Might Sound Stupid...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

Ok here it goes. With the plan I get from my ISP I am allowed 3 IP Adresses. I have an RCA Modem with an Ethernet Port and a USB Port. My current configuration is that the ethernet cable goes from the modem to the router and then the router send the signal to my two computers (Main and Server). Now I was wondering if there was a way of having the two computers on two different IPs... but I don't really want to hook up one with the USB and the Other with ethernet because I play games online and I really don't wanna lag because I am connected with USB and well I can't really have a server connected to USB cause I need the speed and plus I think the Server only have 1.1 ports.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

if you run a switch off your modem, according to your isp, you can have 3 nodes atttached to it. thereby segregating your lan. and if 1 of those nodes happens to be a router, well, of course you can have many attached to it
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Ok so I would have to buy a switch? then run the ethernet cable from the modem to the switch and then configure some stuff in the PC? or can I still use my router.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Use a small hub (4 port) to split from the modem to the router and server. Assign one IP address as the gateway Static to the router. Set one static for your Server. The third could be used for whatever other project you have, like a website, thru your server.

EDIT: Be sure to run a software firewall on your server. You will lose the protection of the NAT that the router provided.

Edited by acklan, 01 April 2006 - 05:49 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

Ok 1) Isn't a router a hub?

2) You talked about using the third as a project... but can you have two ips for the same computer?

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

no, hub and a switch are very similar, however, they use different technologies, and run on different network layers.
a router is much more advanced in its capability, albeit, it certainly does what a hub and a switch does. this way we suggested makes your isp routing and segregation easier for yo to manage. need more explanation, just reply back please, joh or i will explain in more detail how each works and why.
dave

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:12 PM

Now I was wondering if there was a way of having the two computers on two different IPs

Your computers already have different IPs otherwise your network would not work. Is the issue you want different online IPs? If so then like Acklan and Snapper said you would need to put a switch (or hub, but a switch would be better) between your modem and your router. Computers that required individual online IPs could then be connected either directly to the switch (up to 2) or one of them could connect to the router. You could still have a bunch of other PCs networked and having internet access going through the router but they would all appear to have the same IP address when online (the router's address).

Isn't a router a hub?

A router is not a hub but it may have a hub built in to it. If it has more than one LAN port then it has a built in hub or switch. What's the difference? In terms of function nothing but in term of operation when PCs are connected with a hub only one PC can communicate at any time whereas with a switch several communication links can operate simultaneously.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

Well I just got off the phone with the nice Tech Support Guys from Cogeco Cable and they said that I can have 3 different IP adresses but only one can be used at one time.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:16 PM

You don't have static IP addresses then. Thay have you set with DHCP with three IPs rotating. This keeps you from running a server without DynDNS. You will have to set everything behind the router if you cannot assign one IP to a computer/server. They will "Renew you IP lease" every 12 to 72 hours meaning the IP you assigned your server will have to change when the lease changes.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

Ok didn't really get the last message...

but I know that my IP doesn't change. I run a Team Speak server and it's been 25 days 12 hours and 47 minutes that it is up (hihi...) and the IP has always been the same.

#11 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:36 PM

well, it sounds to me that they use flat addressing as authentication, that is, they register (up to 3) your mac address, and when your dhcp client on your node requests an ip, their authentication server recognises your mac address and serves it an ip, pre-determined or not, it is one of 3.
so, if you want to keep your TS server up using a different ip, you can do either one of these 2 things if u want to
1.attach a switch to your modem and run your server off that, then run your router off your switch as well, of course then you may attach more devices to your router. that still leaves you with 1 more ip address you can use off of your switch.
2.attach your router to your modem, make the ip of your TS server static, put it in the DMZ of the router and dont worry about your isp's ip address schematic, because now it dosen't matter, your computers are getting their ip requests from your router, while it looks like (from the isp's point of view) you only have 1 node attached.
hope this clears it up a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users