Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Here--Dept of Justice Moneypak Scam Removal...HELP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikewells

mikewells

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

I tried everything I could find on Google to remove it but I can't figure it out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so,  what did you do to remove it short of paying someone like Tee Support to do it for you?

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by Budapest, 14 February 2013 - 12:44 AM.
Moved from XP ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikewells

mikewells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

I can get into safe mode with command prompt and safe mode with networking but I do not really know what I am doing when I get there.  

I tried a couple different things I found on YouTube but they did not work for me.   

I went through the Registry Editor window to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE .............and located...........Shell.....and it already says......Explorer.exe

It will not let me go in to normal safe mode to do a system restore to a previous point before the virus (that is what I did a while back when I got the FBI virus--I guess this Dept of Justice one is tougher to get rid of).

It will let me get in to my Guest Account (that is what I am using now) but I can't make any changes to the Administrator account.       Does anyone know how to make changes from inside the Guest Account?

Edited by mikewells, 14 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Microsoft Sucks

Microsoft Sucks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

More then one type of the hostageWare Moneypak Scam. Seeing you had this before maybe you didn't get rid of it completely maybe a different Moneypak Scam. I'm no computer technician so I would take the easy way out reinstall windows backup what you can and do a total reinstall. A lot more people on this site are more knowledgeable about this then I am but I'm sure you had this thought the first time you got the Moneypak Scam.

#4 mikewells

mikewells
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I finally got the 'Blue Screen of Death' I think it's called.

It says something about a physical memory dump.  I think I'll just ditch it.

I got an old laptop from my nephew and hooked my big screen monitor to it and my wireless keyboard and mouse.   It seems to be working well--as good or better than what I had.

Thanks for all the info you guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users