Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

I have been using Windows 8 for about a month. I've installed a start menu, gotten rid of the icons I don't want on the metro screen and set it up to skip the metro screen. (actually not for a continuous month. I installed it, used for a week or 2, then got rid of it and reinstalled Windows 7. Yesterday I reinstalled 8)

So far it's not much different from Windows 7 with one exception: the user account screen. When I boot up the laptop it automatically goes to the last account that was used.

In order to get to a different account desktop I have to go to mine and switch user or log off.

For me this is no big deal. However, when the 5 year old is spending the weekend with Nana this song and dance to get to her desktop is a pain. She has all of 3 icons on her desktop which she uses to play games at Disney Jr., Sprout and Nick Jr.

I've done a lot of research and everything I've found says there is no way to have the user account welcome screen with all the accounts on it when the system is booted up.

Has anyone found a way around this? If not I can show her how to get to her desktop from mine. She's smart cookie and it won't take her long to catch on. Or I could log on to her desktop before she arrives so it will go straight to hers when she turns on the laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'm a single user so I log in automatically but I believe you can click on the left arrow button at the top left corner of your account picture to see all users.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

What I am describing is registry editing - It will achieve the desired results but I do not know what long term consequences it may have as I have not thoroughly tested this and I don't know what it means for updates and the like - 
Your actions are your own if you are not comfortable with this then don't do it.
disclaimer outta the way here we go -

open regedit under an administrator account
browse to 

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch]
Change value "Enabled" from "0" to "1"

right click on 'UserSwitch' and go to permissions
click on the 'advanced' button - On Owner click on 'change' - type in 'administrators' the click ok
next click on 'disable inheritance' then 'convert inherited....'
then double click on each entry under permission entries and uncheck full control and check read then ok
for one of the entries that has 'special' you have to 'show advanced permissions' and check 'Query Value' 'Enumerate' 'Notify' and 'Read' everything else should be unchecked.

What you have done is told the system - that it may read that value but not change it - the reason this has to be done is that the system will change the value to 0 after reboot unless the permissions are changed.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 14 February 2013 - 01:19 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

AngryRaisin, I saw that suggestion during my search. At the time I didn't try it, mainly because it says that it reverts back to 0 after a reboot.

I'm fairly comfortable doing registry edits so I will try it just to see what happens. If I screw it up I'll reinstall the OS. There isn't really anything on the laptop I need to save. It all came from my desktop which is backed up to an external drive so it would be a simple matter to get my pics, music, and documents back on the laptop.

Broni, I'll check out the arrow thing.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 February 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I thought I had something with the registry edit.  It worked. I saw both user accounts on the user account screen for 5 restarts and/or starting up after a complete shutdown. Then it disappeard.

I saw the arrow and clicked it, which took me to the screen with both accounts listed.

What I've decided to do is show the 5 year old the arrow. When clicked she can then choose her account by clicking the picture of Hello Kitty.

It's all about keeping the 5 year old happy and if playing her games makes her happy I'll let her play them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 February 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

My post above did not post correctly. I did NOT add the spaces between the lines. I had to make the font bigger because when I was composing the post for some reason it came out in teeny tiny font size and I did NOT do anything with the font icon in the editor.

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hmm thanks for the feedback ... I'll have to test further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users