Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete loop, please help - have already tried many things

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi,
I am new to this forum and was pointed in this direction by Maurice N from the Microsoft Community.

My laptop running Windows Vista continues to loop with the message:

"Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer." This has been looping for 5 days now. It displays this screen upon loading for approximately 2 minutes before restarting itself and loading exactly the same screen.

So far this is what I have tried:

Do nothing - same screen but continuous looping of the screen every 2 or so minutes

Pressing F11 - goes into the stage 3 of 3 screen

Pressing F8 then:
Safe mode - lists of loaded things/ numbers then a please wait, then same screen as before
Safe mode with networking - lists of numbers then a please wait, then same screen
Safe mode with command prompt - lists of numbers then a please wait, then same screen
Last known good configuration (advanced) - same screen
Directory services restore mode - lists of loaded things/numbers, then turns laptop up, upon switching on again choice of start windows in repair (doesn't let me do that) or normally - back to same screen again
Debugging mode - same screen
Disable automatic restart on system failure - same screen
Disable driver signature enforcement - same screen

Start windows normally - same screen

Disable automatic restart on system failure (goes to Same screen) upon restart F8 then safe mode - results same as above

Disable automatic restart on system failure (goes to same screen) upon restart, F8 then same mode with networking - results as above.

I do not have a Windows recovery disc, Windows Vista was pre installed on my laptop.

Each time I wait for the system to start, I don't force restart or anything like that.

I don't have a previous offline system-image backup of the system either.

I would be so grateful for your help, it has been 5 days now, and I have an exam in a week which does not help the situation.

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2013 - 02:09 PM.
Moved from Vista to Malware Removal Logs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zer0c0nfig

zer0c0nfig

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

configuring updates stage 3 of 3. 0% complete and nothing happens.

* please try the following steps: *

- Boot from startup repair F8

- Choose your language, time etc and select the "Repair your
computer" option.

- Start a command prompt and delete or move the following file.
C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

- Restart the PC, you'll get the same 'configuring updates' screen but
after a while it will carry onto the desktop!!!

#3 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

computer" option.
- Start a command prompt and delete or move the following file.C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Hi thank you for your response.

Having tried your suggestion, when I press F8 and click "repair your computer" it does not give me a language, time etc option, or command prompt after clicking on it. When I select repair your computer, it loads up the "configuring updates" screen which subsequently restarts again, and then I'm back to square 1 with the looping "configuring windows" screen. No advancement from this.

Kind regards

Sheila

#4 zer0c0nfig

zer0c0nfig

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

computer" option.
- Start a command prompt and delete or move the following file.C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml

Having tried your suggestion, when I press F8 and click "repair your computer" it does not give me a language, time etc option, or command prompt after clicking on it. When I select repair your computer, it loads up the "configuring updates" screen which subsequently restarts again, and then I'm back to square 1 with the looping "configuring windows" screen. No advancement from this.

Kind regards

Sheila

Were you able to delete this file (c:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml)? else you'll be on the same loop.

#5 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

computer" option.

Kind regards
Sheila

Were you able to delete this file (c:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml)? else you'll be on the same loop.

No I can't get past the confit screen in order to delete the file. Besides F8 start options and the config screen, I can't get anything else up. :(

#6 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi Sheila, and welcome to Bleepingcomputer forum.

Please review and do the following:

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

OR If you have the Windows o.s. DVD, then To enter System Recovery Options, by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
    • Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64)  and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#7 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hi Sheila,

I hope you did not get lost or give up on me. I'd appreciate a status update from you. I do know you are very anxious to have your system working again.
~Maurice Naggar

#8 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi Sheila,I hope you did not get lost or give up on me. I'd appreciate a status update from you. I do know you are very anxious to have your system working again.

Hi Maurice,

I haven't given up, my computer seems to be "stuck" on "loading windows files, please wait" it's stopped I. Loaded: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys" it's been 4 hours now, should I force restart?

So far putting the USB in with the far bar recovery scan tool hasn't made a difference. Even when I click "repair" it goes to the config screen. This is my 3rd attempt, but right now its stuck on the loading windows files screen

#9 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Yes, you should do a restart this way.
Power off the pc.
I would ask you to also power off any attached printer, scanner, copier that may be attached to this system.

Disconnect any external hard drives or external storage devices.

Wait for about 1 minute.

Then power up the system and right away start tapping F8 function key on keyboard & keep re-tapping. So that you get to our startup choices, etc.

You really need to manage to get to the Command prompt window if there's any hope of getting a diagnostic report, as I outlined before.

Tell me what you have on this machine that you do not have a copy of elsewhere.
The worst case here is you would be facing a wipe / erase / and new install of Windows and all your application programs by the use of the Factory restore partition on your hard drive (assuming your computer maker put one there).
That process would mean the loss of all your personal files, documents, etc
Plus all programs would have to be installed from scratch also. {word processing, spreadsheet programs, etc, etc.}
A factory restore puts your computer back to Day 1 as it came out of the factory production line.

The FRST procedure can do some real good .....if only you manage to get to Command prompt.
By the way, putting in the USB with the FRST tool --- in itself --- is not the magic cure just by itself.
The 1st magic part is getting to a Command prompt.

Tell me IF you have access to another system that runs Vista.
Tell me who the computer maker of this system is.
~Maurice Naggar

#10 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yes, you should do a restart this way.
Power off the pc.
I would ask you to also power off any attached printer, scanner, copier that may be attached to this system.

Disconnect any external hard drives or external storage devices.

Wait for about 1 minute.

Then power up the system and right away start tapping F8 function key on keyboard & keep re-tapping. So that you get to our startup choices, etc.

You really need to manage to get to the Command prompt window if there's any hope of getting a diagnostic report, as I outlined before.

Tell me what you have on this machine that you do not have a copy of elsewhere.
The worst case here is you would be facing a wipe / erase / and new install of Windows and all your application programs by the use of the Factory restore partition on your hard drive (assuming your computer maker put one there).
That process would mean the loss of all your personal files, documents, etc
Plus all programs would have to be installed from scratch also. {word processing, spreadsheet programs, etc, etc.}
A factory restore puts your computer back to Day 1 as it came out of the factory production line.

The FRST procedure can do some real good .....if only you manage to get to Command prompt.
By the way, putting in the USB with the FRST tool --- in itself --- is not the magic cure just by itself.
The 1st magic part is getting to a Command prompt.

Tell me IF you have access to another system that runs Vista.
Tell me who the computer maker of this system is.

The message I am getting now after hitting repair with the USB in is:

"windows error recovery - windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during start up, choose start windows normally."

everytime i hit "launch startup repair (recommended)" it keeps jumping back to the same screen "windows error recovery". If I hit start windows normally, then i get the configuring updates screen. (arghh!)

i do not have access to another system with vista, i do have access to a system with windows 7 (my Sony Notepad). I also need the contents as I'm at uni and have not backed everything up yet . i'm sure the drives are partitioned, as everything is stored on C drive and windows is on D drive.

#11 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

We may try a long-shot ---- if your Sony has a CD writer/burner or a DVD burner and you have an appropriate blank disc.
My hope would be if we could use a Windows 7 rescue disc to help in getting us to a Command prompt on your Vista system.

See if you can do the following on your Sony, and if so, let me know when that is done.
Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Note: the below can only be done if your machine has a a type of CD/R or DVD/R optical drive installed. Also depending on the exact type of OEM your machine has you may be unable to actually create a system rescue disc.
  • Click on Start >> Run...(or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box, then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

recdisc.exe

• Allow the UAC(User Account Control) prompt via selecting Yes.
  • You should now see a menu like the below:-
    WTSRD1.gif
    • Put a blank rewritable CD/DVD in your optical(CD/DVD) drive and then click on Create disc.
    • Note: If a AutoPlay window pops up, just close it.
    • When the SRD has been created you will see the below:-
    • Now click on Close
    • You now have a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.
      Eject the disc. Mark it with a felt-tip pen to identify it.
WTSRD2.gif
  • credit Dakeyras for screen captures

~Maurice Naggar

#12 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hi Maurice,

unfortunately my notebook does not have a CD drive. sad.png

Edited by Maurice Naggar, 15 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.
quote block removed

#13 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Minor but important note: You should not press the Quote button when starting a reply.

IF your Vista system is a notebook/laptop, please see it is connected directly to electric power  {not on battery power}.

OK, now. I am thinking you "likely' did not wait enough time for your system to get to a Command prompt.
You need to double & triple your patience ..... infinite patience

Power off your Vista system. Wait for about a minute. Then mentally and with your hand get ready.
Focus on what you need to do at startup with your hand and finger(s) on the keyboard.  e.g., focus on position of F8-key on your keyboard.

Read all of this to insure you understand all of it, including the finer points.
Our goal is to get to Safe mode with Command Prompt off the hard drive by 1st getting to the Adanced Boot Options

Power up the system.
Immediately tap F8-function key, re-tap , & keep re-tapping F8

You will see Advanced Boot Options

IF -not- and vista starts auto-loading you have missed what we need & you need to start over again.

At the Advanced Boot Options
with the Up/Down arrow keys on keyboard, pick/highlight with your arrow-key Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then press Enter key.

{That option is the 3rd option on-screen}.

Now have the infinite patience of a saint. Do not touch anything.
It will show loading windows files. It may "look" like it is stuck ......but it is NOT.
Have inifinite patience if you see a blank (black) screen for a while or more.

Wait for Vista logo and any Welcome screen.
Patience pays off.

It should eventually get into a (black) Command Prompt.

Kindly try that. If you have questions, please stop and ask me.

~Maurice Naggar

#14 Sheila_ktn

Sheila_ktn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Hi Maurice,

I followed the instructions and managed to get to the blank black screen. After a few minutes the vista welcome screen loaded but then the config screen appeared again and then the laptop rebooted itself. After reboot, I get the black screen, welcome screen, then config screen, then reboot, and it keeps looping like this. The black command prompt does not appear.

#15 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Who's the manufacturer of this pc ?
And have you checked with their customer support and or support website to see about getting a replacement disc for your operating system?
~Maurice Naggar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users