Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up entire PC, format PC, then pick from what i want to put back in ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 help me 42

help me 42

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hello,

I was googling how to back up an entire PC,

and I found that in Windows XP, which i have, that there's a back up utility in accesories/system tools

I read that if you do a system back up, you can only restore the entire system.

I was wondering if you could pick from what you want to restore ?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

If the idea is to create an image for restoring due to hdd failure or system file corruption,

then I would think you would want to use a more reliable backup then that. Several free

programs for doing that.

I would think that it would be much simpler to remove any unwanted files, programs, etc. before

doing the backup/ image creation.

You can read more about the XP backup utility and how to use it if you choose that route.

How to use the Backup utility to back up files and folders in Windows XP Home Edition

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

You could also pick and choose what to back up.

I use an external drive for my backups. I first create a folder on the external drive with the backup date.

Then I find the folders/files I want to backup: pictures, music, favorites, documents, any mail from my email client I don't want to lose, etc.

Right click, choose Copy.

Open the newly created folder on the external drive, right click, choose Paste.

After a reinstall of Windows I reverse the process and paste the files to my pc.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 February 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I would make the C: partition solely for the OS, all other partitions whatever you like.  Create a disk image for the OS paritition only so that can be copied back verbatim.  Backup all the other stuff by whatever means is convenient and copy back what you want to the new setup.

There is no simple way to copy back the OS and omit programs you don't need any longer.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

I would not even bother with the Windows backup utility because there are better free backup programs around with more comprehensive flexibility that do the backup process better.

My preference is Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx .

The Windows utility only applies to system files, I believe.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users