Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated BIOS. Now the computer is trying to boot into old operating systems.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kight

Kight

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

When I built this computer back in the dark ages of 2007, I set it up to dual-boot Vista and XP. Every time I powered on, I'd get a prompt to boot into Vista or "older version of Windows," meaning XP. I'd pick one and go on my merry way. In 2011, I formatted the Vista drive, installed Windows 7, and deleted the XP install since I had XP mode in 7 if I needed compatibility. No more dual-boot prompt. I had no issues until last night, when I went shopping for a new hard drive. My motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, was running an old BIOS that has problems with drives of 1 TB or more. So in order to be sure I could use the drive I'm buying, I updated the BIOS to the latest revisiion, using Gigabyte's @BIOS utility to do it in-OS rather than through the boot menu.

When I rebooted, the system POSTed fine. But instead of booting Windows, it gave me the old choice between Vista or the "older version of Windows" - despite neither of those operating systems being present. If I tell the boot manager to do anything, it spits out an error since it can't find any OS files it recognizes. The BIOS itself seems to be fine - I'm writing this on the affected computer, running Ubuntu with a Live CD. I can see all the hard drives, open files, etc. I just don't know how to get the boot manager pointed at Windows 7 again. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Since you built this computer I'm guessing that you have the installation disc for Windows 7?

I'm also going to guess that you have all of your important data backed up for the installation of Windows 7.

What I would suggest would be to wipe the hdd which has the operating system on it with an application like Darik's Boot and Nuke and then do a fresh installation.  By wiping the hdd you will have a clean slate to start from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kight

Kight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm also going to guess that you have all of your important data backed up for the installation of Windows 7.

You would be wrong, but luckily I can use the Ubuntu disc for that. I'd prefer to do the repair manually if possible, since W7 has been giving me no trouble otherwise and I'd rather not go through the process of reinstalling everything, but it's a possibility. 

Edited by Kight, 13 February 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#4 Kight

Kight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Well that's odd. I loaded up the Windows setup disc and it identified my current Windows installation as Vista. It did note that there are errors in the boot file, but "fixing" them did nothing and it still can't see the 7 installation. Bizarre. Guess it's time to try a format-and-reinstall after all.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I would rename the bcd file to bcd.old (should be in c:\boot\bcd) and then run a startup repair from your windows disc and see if it will repair your boot loader before doing a blanket format and install.

#6 Kight

Kight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Okay, another odd thing, then. There is no boot directory on the Windows drive. Well, not at the root level, anyway. Windows 7 is installed on the E:\ drive, and there's E:\Windows\Boot, but it has no BCD file. Just DVD\, EFI\, Fonts\ and PCAT\. And yet there is a full-fledged boot\ folder in my C drive, which used to be the Windows XP partition. Could that be what threw things for a loop? The BIOS updater is based on Windows being on C:\ and having it elsewhere messed things up?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

I've already suggested the easest way to approach this.  With the compounded problems you are experiencing I still believe this is the simplest way to ensure resolving this problem.

I'm one of those that will hold out until I don't see any other way around suggesting reinstalling the operating system, so I don't suggest this lightly.  Been there, done that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

And yet there is a full-fledged boot\ folder in my C drive, which used to be the Windows XP partition.

This is standard for system that is configured for dual boot - vista, 7, and 8 will install the boot manager to the first partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users