Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk drive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aallen101

aallen101

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have a Dell inspiron 1300, xp, sp3 and the disk/DVD drive isn't working. I can't make Cd's thru windows media player or itunes. I have had some virus issues in the past, all seem to be resolved. and for the most part, the computer seems to be running fine. Thank you. Andy. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

"Isn't working"...does that mean that the drive no longer reads either CDs or DVDs?

Have you tried burning each...a CD, a DVD?

Does it read bootable CD/DVD?

Louis

#3 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

when I put in a dvd, I get "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card". I'm not sure if this answers the questions. I have down loaded and installed the drivers from the dell website, and that didn't help. And I have no idea what a bootable CD/DVD is..?? andy.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Have you tried using another free media burner/multimedia software? WMP is not my preference for burning or watching media files.

Tekken

#5 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

no. I haven't. I wouldn't know  which one to choose. this computer is getting full, and slow. I'm not sure how software it can hold. would itunes count as a second media buring software? if so, it wont work either. andy,

Edited by aallen101, 14 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Try this http://www.burnaware.com/burnaware_free.html

Let's see what we can do about the slow and free space you still have.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#7 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VjyLBKYq425tXfP85yWmPND

like this?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

The cd/dvd drive is not present. Scroll down to this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 and look for Windows XP instructions and try following the suggestions.

Tekken

#9 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thank you, I followed instructions and I did delete the upper filter from the registry. there was not a lower filter present. I also went to the dell web site and reinstalled the drivers. and I kept getting the same error message. "this firmware isn't compatible with this drive"? I'm not sure what that all means?? when I look at "my computer" it shows that I have DVD/CD-RW (E:) present. do you have any more suggestions or ideas? thank you! Andy.

#10 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I just tried to down load and install the audio card (from dell) for this computer, per my service tag. and I get an error message saying that it the wrong driver for this computer. And I haven't changed anything on this computer...

Edited by aallen101, 17 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

Try installing the chipset driver from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-1300x .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2013 - 10:18 PM.
Typo.

#12 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

That looks the same site that I've been using. And I ended up with the same result. "wrong driver for this computer." and it uses installshield software??

is that right?

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Can you go to device manager, expand the DVD/CD drive and see if the drive is present? Check the properties/general tab and what's the device status? You can uninstall the dvd drive and upon reboot, windows will detect and reinstall the driver. Try Remove itunes first from your system in troubleshooting the problem and use burnaware free from the link given above.

Tekken

#14 aallen101

aallen101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I ended up deleting the dvd drive and yes, it did reinstall it on reboot. I haven't removed itunes yet. I'm trying to store all of my songs on an external hard drive. and not on this lap top. in doing that, I've created two or three copies of the same songs. do either of happen to know of a way to do this? I've uninstalled itunes, then deleted all of the itunes sub folders, reinstalled itunes, and there it all is again.. a duplicate copy of all of those songs...I did use the burnware, and it worked for the most part. thank you!

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

If its on itunes, see here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2905

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users