Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird spam emails. No, I did not sign up for your website!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 imbadwithcomputers

imbadwithcomputers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I don't know much about email spam, so please bear with me: how am I receiving a certain type of spam?

Every now and then a spam email will end up in my inbox informing me that I just signed up for some website. Obviously I haven't signed up for these programs, so I'm wondering how they are getting my email and first name. I have not clicked on any of the emails to know if they mentioned any other personal information.

In the past I have signed up for a few contests from well-known companies and some coupon distributors, all using my real name and email address. Are these companies selling my information or do companies crawl the internet until they find an email with a name attached, then send out bogus user verification emails? My email has not been hacked so I would like to know more about this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hello imbadwithcomputers  and Welcome -

and some coupon distributors < These are the type of companies that do "share emails" at times.

Often a new one will slip by your Spam Filter, but mark them as Spam, and your email provider will learn quickly.

As long as you do not click on any Attachments in the "odd emails you should be OK -

Keep your Antivirus updated and you can also ilstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free
Update and scan with these weekly just to be sure nothing bad has passed into your system, and you should be OK

Thank You for your question today - Call back if you wish further information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users