Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from CD-RW disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TY19405

TY19405

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I Have an hp pavilion 304w computer and i am trying to boot from a CD to reinstall windows. I have already changed the boot order and got the BIOS update from the hp website but i still cannot boot into the windows setup. Everytime i start the computer i press ESC and i get the boot first list,i select CDROM and then it shows a black screen with a little Dash symbol blinking in the top left corner for about 5 seconds and then it boots windows normally. HOW DO I MAKE IT BOOT FROM THE BLEEPING CD????!!!???smashcomp.gif

Edited by hamluis, 13 February 2013 - 11:45 AM.
Edited for readability - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

First, it sounds like the CD is an unofficial version, it being CD-RW.  The fact that the drive is ignored means that it cannot find the OS or it cannot read the disk (the drive light should flash).  CD-RW is flakier than CD-R; a higher chance of the drive not reading it.  I have 4 drives on 2PCs and sometimes none of them will read a disk.  Try and get hold of a proper CD-ROM.

If you have a IDE/SATA/USB adapter handy, you could disconnect the CD drive, connect it to another PC or laptop via USB and see if the disk is readable.  If not, you need another drive or disk combination.  If you can get hold of an external USB CD drive that reads the disk, that will also work.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have already changed the boot order and got the BIOS update from the hp
website but i still cannot boot into the windows setup. Everytime i
start the computer i press ESC

If you have changed the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order all you need to do is place the disc in the optical drive and reboot the computer, you should get the messager Press any key to boot from CD, do this and the installation will progress.  You don't need to press Esc at anytime durning this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users