Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Freezes on sleep and reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I have been having issues with my Gaming Computer for the last few days. It freezes everytime i put it into sleep mode, and also when i reboot it. In sleep mode, the monitor turns off, but the computer continues to run (fans and lights are still on). I at first thought it was a PSU issue, but then it started to hang during games and it also freezes while booting the computer. The first time it froze mid-bios, then it froze a couple of times after the bios (when loading an OS), and it is now frozen on the windows boot screen (The logo and "Starting Windows"). Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon II x3 @ 3.4GHz w/ core unlocking (This is often turned off when rebooting after a freeze)

Patriot Signature 4GB DDR3 Memory - Single Stick

ECS MCP61M-M3 GeForce 6100 Motherboard

Seagate 320GB Hard Drive

Coolmax 500W PSU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I've always had an issue here and there with freezes, but after replacing Motherboard, RAM, and 2 video cards, it was ok til now.

****NOTE****

I've also had problems with my laptop freezing now and then, and i used the same windows loader on both computers. Does this have anything to do with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hello Bryan -

> >I've always had an issue here and there with freezes < < Is since you started loading certain games, or at any time ??

Some games have been causing problems (Diablo <- excuse spelling has been one).

Are you able to access Safe Mode with Networking on the problem computer (using the F8 method) ??

Anything marked in Device Manager with ( ? or ! ) recently, meaning drivers or faulty programs ??

Do you run similar games and programs on both computers, or do you think it may be a Network problem ??

Thank You -

#3 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

It will only hang while gaming, and it does it on any game. The freezing usually just occurs when putting into sleep mode or when rebooting. It used to freeze during games all the time until i had the graphics card serviced, as well as the Motherboard and the RAM. I also have upgraded the processor from an AMD Athlon x2 3.2GHz to a AMD Athlon x3 3.4GHz, which is in Core Unlock mode and shows up as a phenom something or other. My other computer is just my everyday laptop, and it hasn't had freezing issues since I restored it (with the exception of 1 BSOD), but a few weeks ago they were both freezing every time i ran them and I restored both of them back to early last December. My laptop has been fine, but my Gaming has had this problem for like a week now.

PS The gaming PC also powers on randomly while in sleep mode, but i always assume its the cat stepping on the keyboard or something. But sometimes it is truly random, but it's always done that. Maybe it's something with the wireless receiver for the KBM combo. (Logitech wave KBM combo). 

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

The freezing usually just occurs when putting into sleep mode or when rebooting

Please read How to Disable Sleep Mode in Windows 7.
There are times when it is easier to Disable Sleep, and just save open programs or links -

Thank You -

#5 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the help, but that still wouldn't fix the problem. That leaves me with booting windows still, and at the moment i can't boot the computer at all. When the BIOS freezes it's as it's loading the HDD. Could the HDD have a problem? Suggestions?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Please post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions Here

Thanlk You -

#7 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

This is the snapshot for my laptop:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LRKyXBJk8tiAsWmn7YAuHOE

My Gaming Computer is taking forever to load the Optical Drive information, so it won't let me save or publish the snapshot. Is there a way that I can stop the process and just upload what I have? If it ever finishes (it's been 20 minutes) I'll upload it.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Pleae try to complete the Speccy on the Problem computer if you can. Laptop looks reasonable so far -

If you are not able to complete it, please try these programs -

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open
Double click the icon to launch the program
Make sure the following options are checked:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Problem only)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
    Click Go and once the scan is completed a Result.txt Notepad document will open on your desktop
    Please copy / paste the contents in your reply

Also - Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
•Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

•Press "Scan".
•It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
•Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Thank You -

EDITED to reset links -

Edited by noknojon, 17 February 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

A quick thought hit me about this computer system - - - -

When the BIOS freezes it's as it's loading the HDD.......I've always had an issue here and there with freezes .......

I was re-reading your first few posts again, and thinking there may be a BIOS setting problem.

As this is now virtually home made with (Mobo - Graphics - RAM - CPU) parts replaced, upgraded or generally altered, It becomes harder to give a basic BIOS setting, like for Dell / H.P, etc.

Thinking there may be settings that have altered or never correctly set -

Are you able to access BIOS on Startup ?? I can not even give you a key to press to get into BIOS now.

Please check all settings there first, if you can -

#10 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I am able to get into BIOS, though I do not know what settings to look for. I've been thinking about replacing the motherboard anyways, so maybe try that first? I will run the scans on there in a little bit, I'm a little busy right now. Thanks for your help so far!

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

No problem -

I will still have the topic under Watch -

#12 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well, the BIOS froze on reboot, right after it loaded the RAM. Then it continued after a couple minutes and froze again on the "Starting Windows" screen. I restarted and it hung up after loading RAM, and then failed during startup repair. I will post pictures of the error and a video explaining this a bit more in a few moments. So far, I cannot boot the computer. I'm maybe thinking memory at this point? I have a stick that might fit it to test, but I'm not positive. I just had it replaced not that long ago, same with the Motherboard. GPU is also newly replaced, leaving just HDD and PSU, plus the optical drive as the only original installs left

#13 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

If the issue is in fact software related, do you think upgrading to Windows 8 would fix it? i've needed a good excuse for that, too

#14 BryanLikesPC's

BryanLikesPC's
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

http://www.mediafire.com/?qqifrokgv35j6dh

Those are the files including 2 pictures and a video of my computer freezing

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Was the Windows7 installed with a New Genuine Install, or an update / OEM reinstall ??

You may now find that your install is not recognised by the new Motherboard, since that is what the install relates to.

Have you thought of calling "enough" and trying to install Windows7 again. You will lose all data, but it may work.

If you have a set of New Genuine Windows7 DVDs (the ones you first used ?) it may be enough.

If this is an install / reinstall of an OEM system then it will not work due to the replaced Mobo.

I do not know enough about Windows8 to say one way or the other for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users