Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not turn on with various power adapters

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rogue_agent

rogue_agent

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm posting this here since the laptop is on the Windows 7 OS.

I have a MEDION MD96850 Laptop. Ever since the battery died, I have been running the laptop on AC power. This has been fine for my work. However, since yesterday, the laptop just won't turn on. The power supply is on but the laptop won't start. I have tried 3 power adapters but it's the same result.

One of my hinges is damaged and I can see a wire inside - maybe this is the cause of the problem? I read that on some laptops there's some switch underneath the touchpad that does something but I don't have a clue.

Due to my stupidity, I delayed in backing up much of my work and now find myself desperate to access it again. I really don't want to lose all the work. Please guide me in any way to remedying this problem or at the very least, recovering my files from the laptop to a new one.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2014 - 03:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

It sounds like the ac adapter point on your laptop finally gave up on you. You would either need to take it apart and solder the connection points or if you are lucky replace the ac connection point (some laptops have replaceable ones but it is rare). Or got to someplace that can do this for you.

Your files should be fine you may just want to get a usb/ide/sata connector and take the hard drive out of that laptop and go to another computer and transfer files off of it.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 14 February 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi -

User manual of the WIM2210 MD 96850 notebook model series.
Notes from this Manual -
Note
If you ignore the warning signal when the battery level is low, your notebook goes into hibernate mode.
Warning!
Never remove the battery while the notebook is switched on or if the notebook has not yet gone into hibernate mode, as this may lead to loss of data.

Thank You -

#4 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

If I replace the AC Connection Point, if I can get one, then do I have to take the laptop apart and connect it or do I do it from the outside?

So, regarding the files, I get a SATA Usb HDD Enclosure and insert the hard drive there and connect it to another computer, right? Is it easy to do or is there a risk involved if I take the laptop apart?

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

There is always a risk when doing anything - in the case of taking a hard out of a laptop and plugging it into another computer I feel it is a very small risk.

The ac adapter point is usually much more difficult... especially if it your first time soldering. Usually is more along the lines of this wiki http://repair4laptop.org/wiki/Disassembly_Guide_for_Medion_MD40100_Laptop_(WID_2000_NoteBook_PC) . Do not go into thinking oh this will be easy because usually it's not.

#6 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thank you for the instructions. Regarding the spare AC adapter points, do I contact the manufacturer for spare parts or can I find those on the Internet? Also, if I do get hold of a spare one, then can I take it to a computer shop to fit it in?

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

I don't have any computer shop experience regarding the UK so I'm not the best reference for that.  I have had poor experiences contacting the manufacturer for parts but relatively good experiences getting oddball parts from surplus stores off of ebay.  Various shops in the US will do it for around $150 bucks ... so if is an older computer most people don't go for it and invest that 150 in a new computer.  Generally the shop should source the part for you.

I've done it on a couple laptops just to see if I could but then again I also willing to sacrifice those computers for dead if I screwed up the job.

#8 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

I see. Thank you. So by an AC connector pin, do you mean something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEDION-Akoya-MD96850-Laptop-DC-Jack-Power-Socket-Port-Connector-Pin-/150824472633

I'll try to sort the hard drive out first by putting it in an enclosure but if that part is right, then that would be great,

#9 9696andrew

9696andrew

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

If I replace the AC Connection Point, if I can get one, then do I have to take the laptop apart and connect it or do I do it from the outside?

So, regarding the files, I get a SATA Usb HDD Enclosure and insert the hard drive there and connect it to another computer, right? Is it easy to do or is there a risk involved if I take the laptop apart?

i am having the exact same problem with my laptop.  i downloaded the manual, bought some tiny screwdrivers from the hardware store ($10) and removed the motherboard to check visually for any damage or problems.  none found.  i then googled my laptop make model name and DC adapter, and bought it online for 4 bucks.  used a friends hot soldier equiptmnet to remove the existing DC adapter on the motherboard, then put the new one back in.  put it all back together, still won't turn on, so the problem is most likely something else on the motherboard.

checking ebay for parts is where i am now, but new (refurb) motherboards look like they're going for 175-200.  the laptop new was only around 300 when i bought it a few years ago.

yes, removing the hard drive is easy and safe if you take your time and follow directions.  some hard drives are easily accessable from a bottom panel that only needs one screw removed, others you have to tear down the entire thing all the way to the mother board.  i like to read through the directions of taking it apart a few times, then geting some envelopes for screws that are removed, and even take digital pictures while im doing it to make sure everything gets put back the same way.  the "hardest" part of taking apart and putting a laptop back together is usually the very thin, small, narrow connection ribbons that connect things like keyboards to motherboards, or other internal components.  just take your time and use common sense and you should be fine.

#10 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Oh I see, that's a shame. I guess you could buy that same laptop again, can't you? Then back your work up if you have to. Depends on what price you can get it at.

I agree, that's what I'm worried about most when disassembling it - putting it back together. Like you said, really need to take it slow and let common sense prevail.

#11 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

take it slow and let common sense prevail.

yep... exactly the way to proceed. I would get the hard drive out of the system and copy the important stuff off first. And your earlier post is exactly what I mean by the adapter pin. Generally you know this is the problem when it freely moves about with the current ac point... especially if you had to apply pressure in a specific direction to current adapter point to power the machine.

You generally know when it is the adapter point once you disassemble the machine because the solder is visually broken on the board.

Be careful on pinning all your hopes on one thing... this is mostly a situation of I want to try something to see if I can get a couple more months outta this machine.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 20 February 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#12 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thank you for this advice. I just ordered the connector pin and now I'm just waiting for the hard drive enclosure. Like you said, hard drive and the important contents in it first.

#13 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Damn it, it seems that I cannot open my laptop - I've ordered a screwdiver set.

And now I need help on the new laptop I ordered. Should I open another thread for this? Can I create another thread while this one is active?

#14 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

OK, I want to apologise for this extraordinarily late post but I just finally backed up my data by putting my hard drive into an enclosure. I also managed to take the old connector pin out and solder the new one in and it works! So I really thank all of you for this advice. So that's one thing off my mind.

You people can lock this thread down if you need to. My apologies again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users