Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet stopped working due to virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John DS

John DS

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi All,

A few months ago I got back home from overseas, and our shared pc had a backdoor.multi.zaccess.gen virus. Not sure how it got here while I was away, but I posted this on the malware part of the forum and did a complete scan and clean up on the infected computer.

See forum post below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/472331/backdoormultizaccessgen/

Now the virus is removed and the computer seems to be clean from any other viruses or infections, but as a consequence I cannot access the internet on this computer anymore.

When the LAN cable is connected, it shows the "internet" icon in the taskbar (two pc's + world globe), but browers do not work (i've deleted and reinstalled) and neither do any gaming applications.

Strangely, Steam was able to download updates, but no online games worked. Also some programs that need updates cannot download due to "no internet connection".

Our internet/router doesnt seem to be the issue, because everything works fine if I plug the lan cable into my laptop (which is used for internet now).

Not too keen on doing a fresh install just because of this small issue with internet connectivity.

Thanks,

John DS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

#3 John DS

John DS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I didnt get any notifications on responses, so I havent checked the forum.

Thanks for your help, I have run the programs but the reply section hasn't got anyway of attaching documents???

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

You need to Copy/Paste in this area.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Only a limited number of forums allow attachments. This is for security reasons. As boopme has stated you will need to copy and paste the contents in a reply.

For reference, here is a list of which sub-forums allow the use of attachments.

Operating Systems Forum
Windows 95/98/ME
Windows XP Home and Professional
Windows NT/2000/2003/2008
Windows Vista
Windows 7

Hardware Forum
Internal Hardware

Security Forum
Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users