Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect CPU usage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just wondering, but does the Task manager not show the correct CPU amount that is being used? I am showing 90% - 100% usage currently on task manager, while Intel XTU is showing 65%-75%, and CoreTemp showing similar numbers to Intel XTU.

Which numbers would be better to trust? 

I use an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.2Ghz with Windows 8 Pro.

Edited by Rewster, 12 February 2013 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

It has been awhile since I delved into this but I believe that in Windows the idle task is used in the calculation. You see it listed as System Idle Process. Then the remaining CPU usage is divided amongst the other tasks based on how much work each task has queued up. The calculation is done by the OS.

It is certainly possible that the Intel program determines CPU utilization in a different way and that would explain the difference. I think Linux does it differently also (no idle process).

You could try a Linux LiveCD and see if it reports similar numbers to the Intel program (if the Intel program has a Linux version).

So both numbers are correct. They are probably just using different algorithms. Since you are running Windows, you should go by the numbers that Windows gives since Windows will make decisions on allocation of resources based on its own calculations.

James

#3 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Alright. The computer does get sluggish when it gets close to 100% on task manager, even when XTU shows lower than 80. And it seems overclocking the cpu doesn't make any difference in how much of the cpu is used. I am new to overclocking, so idk if that was supposed to affect it in the first place or not. I went from 3.7Ghz to 4.3Ghz and nothing changed in the % used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users