Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPILLED ON MY LAPTOP HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andy1799

andy1799

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hello,

I
have a newer lenovo laptop. I spilled a beer on it(i know great right).
The screen instantly went to fuzz, and it drained right out the other
side............i turned it off and pulled the battery. Place the
computer in a bag of rice for 72 hours. I turned it on, and it beeps
quickly and repeatedly. If you press any button it goes to a screen that
asks what OS to load. I only have windows 7. Overall its very slow.
Then it attempted to repair the start up files...........and then the
screen went back to being fuzz. I turned it off and pulled the battery. I
have a feeling this sucker is fried. However it did last about 30 min
looking fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hi Andy,

I feel for you - I have just finished a beer, but happily without spilling it !

Unless anybody else comes up with a more subtle suggestion, it is probably time to get brutal with it. I would be inclined to remove the hard drive - a few screws on the underside - disconnect and remove the screen if you can, and give the keyboard a good swilling in something like distilled or de-ionised water. Then put it back in the bag of rice, or in a nice warm cupboard and let it dry out thouroughly.

The hard drive is a sealed unit, and shouldn't have suffered - just give it and its contacts a good wipe down with something like a lens cleaner pad. Most of your problems are likely centred around icky sticky goo ( sugars, alchohols, electrolytes ) from the beer gumming up your keyboard. The distilled water should remove these deposits. The beer should not have done your screen any harm since it probably didn't reach it, but don't soak the screen !

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 andy1799

andy1799
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

but the screen going black and fuzzy wouldnt be from the keyboad

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

That rice stunt seems to be a fave but it's ridiculously inefficient compared to flowing warm, dry air.  You want elevated temperature to increase the rate of evaporation.  Flowing air to reduce the relative humidity next to the wet parts and to carry the moisture far enough away to be out of the picture.  It's basic thermodynamics.  Put a fan heater an appopriate distance away if you want quick results.  If you have forced draught heating then anywhere close to an outlet is good.  Save the rice and make a curry.

I could provide a lengthy scientific explanation about the pros and cons.  I rate the rice method as more of an old wive's tale.  Could be handy if no electrical source available.  To illustrate my point, when you wash your hair, you dry it with a hair dryer blowing hot air.  You don't put a shower cap on your head and fill it with rice!

Edited by Nanobyte, 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#5 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'd personally disassemble as much as possible an give it a wipe with Radio Shack contact cleaner or 100% alcohol and dry it with a blowdryer. The monitor cables usually connect to a certain piece of the motherboard so that fading might have to do with getting liquid in there, so you'd like to open and dry as much as you can reach to. 

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'd personally disassemble as much as possible an give it a wipe with Radio Shack contact cleaner or 100% alcohol and dry it with a blowdryer. The monitor cables usually connect to a certain piece of the motherboard so that fading might have to do with getting liquid in there, so you'd like to open and dry as much as you can reach to. 

I'd also thought of the contact cleaner, although it could be quite expensive.  I often use isopropanol with Q-tips but I'm not sure how good it is at dissolving dried spills without mechanical agitation.  As Chris noted, the sticky stuff (juice) and corrosive fluids (juice, pop) need to be removed.  Sometimes water is better for water-based spills.  A blowdryer is great providing you are careful what you point it at.  Ideal for blasting fluid out of crevices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users